SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By JD27
Hello all,

Although I have some knowledge of the electrical field, I am very new to the world of electronics. I am hoping these forums may be able to provide me some assistance.

I have been using the WAV Trigger and have been very happy with its performance thus far.

However I am unsure as to whether I am misunderstanding the functionality of the "Next" and "Previous" trigger functions, or my WAV Trigger is not functioning correctly. To my understanding, I believe that triggering the "Next" function should play the next numbered track and continue to play successive tracks in a loop until otherwise told to do something different.

My WAV Trigger only plays the next or previous track when prompted and stops playing tracks upon the completion of the first track.

I am looking to have the WAV trigger cycle through the tracks by itself in a loop. Is there anyway I can achieve this through the Init file and triggers, or via serial control from an Arduino?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
By robertsonics
The trigger options for the WAV Trigger allow for a potentially bewildering array of behaviors - including the one you want, although you may need to update your firmware, depending on your specific requirements.

By default, the triggers are "Edge" type, meaning that they cause an action only on a transition. For the "Next" and "Previous" functions, this means that a transition is required to advance to subsequent tracks. You can change the trigger type to "Level", and as long as you hold the trigger active, the tracks will continue to play the way you want. You can cause the WAV Trigger to do this automatically by setting the trigger type to "Level" and checking "Invert" so that the trigger is active by default (they're pulled high with nothing connected to them.)

If you want the tracks to start and continue playing with a trigger edge (rather than holding a trigger active), the latest versions of the firmware and the WT-InitMaker app support a new trigger type called "Latch". This type allows you to use a transition to start an operation and continue to trigger it without having to hold the trigger active.

The best thing to do is to update to the latest firmware, get the latest version of the WT-InitMaker app and experiment.

Hope this helps.
By JD27
I have just now gotten back from vacation and had a chance to try out your suggestion. I was successful in updating the wav trigger to the latest firmware and trying out the latch function, thank you very much for your help.

I am also looking to drive a speaker directly using the on-board amplifier. I see that you have previously posted about about the need to cut a trace and install a small capacitor on the board. I am unsure if my model of the wav trigger requires this, as I believe mine is newer. I have a V11 wav trigger.

Also I am wondering if you could provide me with any recommendations on a speaker that would not draw too much current for the wav trigger, as the wav trigger will be continuously playing tracks. I am not entirely sure as to what ratings or specifications I would be looking for.

Thanks again.
By JD27
Great! I have been able to wire an external 8 ohm 3W speaker to the WAV Trigger.

The sound output from the speaker isn't too bad, I'm wondering if I could wire a larger speaker for better louder sound.

As long as I size my power supply correctly, am I safe to have a larger speaker wired to the WAV Trigger? maybe up to a 10W speaker? or will the WAV Trigger possibly be damaged from increased current draw?
By DanV
The Wav 13360 specs say: "•On-board mono audio amplifier and speaker connector: 2W into 4 Ohms, 1.25W into 8 Ohms" which means exactly that, the amp won't put out any more than that. Putting a 100W speaker isn't going to draw any more current since it's still 8 ohm (or 4 ohm).
A larger speaker could actually end up with less volume due to that tiny little amp trying to drive a physically larger speaker.
Putting a 4 ohm speaker on WILL give you more volume since the amp is rated at 2W @ 4 ohm (but only 1.2W with a 4 ohm speaker attached). So get yourself a 2-3" 4 ohm speaker and at least put it in an enclosure of some sort (that will improve the sound A LOT).