SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By xagent
Hello,

Just got my Sparkfun Edison Starter Kit + 9 degrees of Freedom block! I went through the Getting Started Guide and installed the drivers, connected to the serial port, upgraded the Linux distro, etc... But now what? I'm a bit stumped as to how to get started programming, let alone interface with the 9DOF accelerometer, or utilize the bluetooth capabilities

Every guide and tutorial I've found explains using the Edison with an Arduino baseboard - including on Intel's site - and using the Arduino IDE and APIs. For all the Sparkfun blocks, it mentions a Hookup Guide is coming soon, and on youtube, I only saw Parts 1 and 2 of Edison Sparkfun blocks tutorial was there, and "Part 3" was also coming soon.

I understand the Edison doesn't have any video/audio/LEDs so there won't be a simple "Hello World" blink this LED tutorial. I looked for some sample projects, but again they all seemed to use the Arduino board. Are there any resources/examples to go thru for the Sparkfun blocks?
By xagent
I'm looking at the LSM9DS0 chip (the same IMU in the 9 degrees of freedom Edison block). Went to the page for the hookup guide for it: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ls ... okup-guide

However as mentioned, it only has an Arduino tutorial and example code. Any tips here for getting started without Arduino? Or must I also get the Arduino block for the Edison?
By Hesham00
Hello there , I know it's really hard at first. I found a library called RTIMULib which is an IMU libraby and works well with edison 9DOF block, that will allow you to calibrate the sensors and read values from it, so you need to install the suitable packages on the edison then install the RTIMULib library then you will find a calibration routine there to calibrate your 9DOF then you'll be able to read values ,
and here's the link of the library
https://github.com/richards-tech/RTIMULib

Goodluck ;)
By NoraNora
I'm a bit unhappy- nearly $200 spent on Sparkfun blocks and on the Edison itself but I can't figure out how to even get a Hello World example to play, let alone work with the 9 degrees of freedom. I don't want to work with the Arduino board as the reason I'm using this is because of its small size.
Is there any documentation at all on how to get things to work?