SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By rlintner
Hello all,

I purchased one of the HRT03 and DS18B20 temperature sensors today to test some monitoring options using a raspberry pi. I tried the instructions set out on a few sites on the internet for setting these up, however the temperature never displayed, and now when I plug the devices in, if they don't shut my RPi down, they get incredibly hot to the touch.

Have I burned these out accidentally, or is there something else I should try?

For the RHT03 (exposed side facing me, pin count left to right), pin 1 was going to 3.3v on the RPi, pin 2 went to one several GPIO data ports, and pin 4 went to Ground.

For the DS18 (flat side facing me, pin count left to right), pin 1 went to ground, pin 2 to GPIO port, and pin 3 to 3.3v and to 5v.

I did see some diagrams outlining a need for a 4.7k or 10k resistor between pin 3 and pin 2, but that didn't seem to make any difference to reporting using the wiringPi utility.

Any thoughts or input from the community?

Thanks
By Ross Robotics
when I plug the devices in, if they don't shut my RPi down, they get incredibly hot to the touch.
Sounds like a dead short. Could be caused by damage to the module. I highly doubt it will work any more, time to get another one.