SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By spyker
Dear people

Re: SPARKFUN LIDAR Lite SEN-13167 RoHS

This is very serious DANGROUS LASER DEVICE which will cause major eye damage and blindness in people.

IT IS ILLEGAL TO SHIP THIS DEVICE TO MOST COUNTRIES AND WILL BE CONFISCATED IN CUSTOMS

SPARKFUN MUST RETRACT THIS DEVICE FROM SALE AND REQUEST A RECALL OF ALL SHIPPED ITEMS.

I am a professional engineer and have ONLY used such devices in industrial situations
with all safety interlocking possible and fully compliant with ISO safety standards

Len Spyker
Perth Australia
By Kamiquasi
You seem to have posted this in several sections - so I'll just tackle this one.

Could you provide more information on why you believe that this product is 1. dangerous, 2. illegal to ship and 3. ( as titled in another post ) illegal to use?

The developer claims that this is a Class 1 device unless tampered with ( "This Laser Product is designated as Class 1
during all procedures of operation" ), which should not be dangerous (I still wouldn't stare into a Class 1 laser, of course), be perfectly legal to ship (including to Perth, unless they have different laws that supersede Australia's max classification of Class 2), and certainly legal to use other than for fringe cases (e.g. laws regarding pointing lasers at airplanes - though this is an IR device, so that wouldn't invoke the usual problems of distracting glare).
By skimask
Don't worry.
I'm sure the LIDAR will come with an optional tin foil hat that can be sent to anyone you wish...
By Mee_n_Mac
I have no use for one ATM but I may order the device just in case.

I've also swam immediately after eating and run about w/scissors.

And exceeded the 55MPH speed limit (by > 2.5x).
By Ross Robotics
Mee_n_Mac wrote:I've also swam immediately after eating
NO YOU HAVEN'T!! YOU ARE LUCKING TO BE ALIVE!! MY MOMMA ALWAYS TOLD ME, 1 HOUR!

Doesn't it feel good to use caps lock every once in awhile.
Last edited by Ross Robotics on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Ross Robotics
Funny how he joined in 2009 and he decides to post this..
By jremington
People can flip out at any point in time.

As a matter of fact, my example of the PulsedLight LIDAR just arrived and I look forward to experimenting with it. I don't plan to look down the barrel.
By Ross Robotics
I actually looked at the product page here and now I am wanting it too. But, it's not in stock..
By MarkS
I love it when people post dire warnings on the internet without references! "Trust me! I know what I'm talking about!"
By Ross Robotics
Everything found on the internet is the truth! Everyone knows that.