SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By MAXTHEDOG
Hi all,
I'm a complete beginner, and have just bought the SF Inventors Kit V3.2. I'm working my way through the projects and have noticed one thing about them all - the Red board resets and what is expected in the project starts over. Obviously this is the 'loop', being processed, but if you wanted to switch something on and keep it on for any decent amount of time how do you stop this?
I.e. If you wanted to control outside lighting, having the lights switching on/off every 3 or 4 seconds if no use.

Apologies if this question only serves to highlight my lack of knowledge.

Regards,
MtD.
By Ross Robotics
Something is causing it to reset. It sounds like it's pulling too much current which it will cause it to reset (Power on then off). What and how is everything connected?
By darrellg
Looping is not the same thing as resetting. If your program sets a pin high it will remain high until your program sets it low, regardless of how many iterations of the loop have occurred. If your board is actually resetting, then there is another problem with your circuit. Or, perhaps your program is changing the pin state. You haven't given us enough information to work with.
By Ross Robotics
Obviously, let the man respond first.
By MAXTHEDOG
Thanks all for your replies.

I inadvertently posted this same topic on the Projects board as I thought this one hadn't been sent - Codlink, thanks for you replies.
Darrellg, I've posted the code in the Projects board, but it's Project 1 in John Boxalls Arduino Workshop.
BTW, when the 'reset', loop restarts me thing I left out above, is the onboard LED attached to pin 13 breifly flashes.

I might just buy another and compare as I'm sure I'll be able find a use for two.
Regards,
Michael.
By MAXTHEDOG
Thanks Valen.

How do I create a link to the thread in Projects?

Any further contributors, could you please refer to the Newbie question in the PRojects board.

Regards,
Michael.
By Valen
Just copy the link from your browser URL bar (or copy it by rightclicking on a link). And paste it in the text.

If you want to hide the http://blabla, and show a short descriptive name instead (as I did in the other thread), you can use the
Code: Select all
[url=URL_HERE]Descriptive Text[/url]
url-tags. There is also a button to insert them in the full message editor.
By Ross Robotics
So I really don't understand why on this post you are using the onboard LED and the other it's a series of LEDs..

Just to keep everything together, don't reply to this thread. But You may want to mention (in the other thread) that you have the same "reset" when you use just the onboard LED..