SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By wingsoalaska
Good morning!

I am building a clock using a bunch of LEDs, an Arduino, and a CC3000. I want to give several copies of the clock to various family members and friends as gifts for birthdays and Christmas, and sometimes just because. I want to make connection to the device as easy as possible for them. In my mind, this means they should not have to go into the admin of their router in order to bind mac address and IP, or to ensure that if I use a static IP it does not conflict with their DHCP range, etc... What I want is for them to type in a name like "KibsKlock" into the browser, and letting the browser figure out which IP address is required and load the page. I'm told this is possible for the router, but I can't find any information on how to tell the CC3000 to use a host name that I give it. As near as I can tell, it doesn't even have a default host name, because when I look in my DHCP table, the client host name for the device is blank.

I'm using the Adafruit_cc3000 library, only because it had an http_server example, whereas I could not find one with the sparkfun library. I have both downloaded though, so I could use either. I'm also using an Arduino Mega and Sparkfun's CC3000 shield.

Any help is appreciated, even in the form of correcting some of my terminology or concepts so I can refine my Google search!

Thanks!