SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By uoho
Well, I´ve purchased two XBee Pro S2B 63mW RP-SMA to make a project with arduino. I have got a comunication PC <-> Arduino, but I have a "range problem".

At the datasheed estimated maximum range about 1 mile.

When I start range test the signal its less than half, but the modules are pratically "glued".(I have to clarify that a haven´t purchased antennas).

-This range is normal without antennas?
-What antennas are recommended to install?

Thanks and sorry for my english
By Valen
Those module are meant to be attached to external antennas. That's why they have the RP-SMA connector. Without any antenna they are simply deaf and mute in a RF sense. It would have been better had you bought the chip or wire antenna version.

Sorry, I have no suggestions for antennas. Other than the above I am not familiar with antenna specifics.
By uoho
Valen wrote:Those module are meant to be attached to external antennas. That's why they have the RP-SMA connector. Without any antenna they are simply deaf and mute in a RF sense. It would have been better had you bought the chip or wire antenna version.

Sorry, I have no suggestions for antennas. Other than the above I am not familiar with antenna specifics.
OK! Thanks for the clarification!