SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By LEDSpark
I am new to electronics playing with LED's. I would like help with a wiring circuit example on how to connect a Tri-color or Bi-color LED in a present circuit board, (slow electronic switch) (astable - multivibrator) by replacing the two flashing LED's with either one of the above which should do the flashing by switching to different colors? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
My components in use are - 2 x 100uf caps, 2 x 100k res.,2 x 2N2222 transistors, 2 LED's red and green and 9v powersupply.
By Ross Robotics
A schematic of your current circuit would be helpful. Bi-color or RGB LED will have one common anode or cathode. The rest of the pins will represent the color.

So, to help, we need a schematic and the LED you will be using. On another note, you could use Google to find out how to hook up LEDs..
By LEDSpark
Thank you for the reply codlink. I have managed to obtain two circuit diagrams from an electronic site which solved my problems. I had a two color LED with red/green switching depending on the connection to the power source, and a three leg LED with two colors. The astable multivibrator circuit did not work, but using a 555 timer ic circuit it worked first time. I do not know how to post a diagram pic to this reply, so sorry I cannot show it.
By Ross Robotics
Click Post Reply, under text field there are tabs "Options" and "Upload Attachment." Click on "Upload Attachment." Click "Browse." This forum excepts most common forms of image formats. After you've selected your pic, click "Add the file."