SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Mickey
I'm am working with a Max2606 and I'm looking for a PLL controlled by I2C using about 3.3 V. To lock in around 86 to 108 MHZ range Would anyone have and ideas?
By waltr
I would use a DDS chip. The AD9850 works well and is fairly easy to use plus there are good app notes on using this chip.
By Mickey
Thanks Waltr, Its a little more then what I'm looking for. I'm trying to make a little beacon. Say, it being picked up by a regular FM radio at about 100 ft. away. Looking for a PLL to lock in the frequency that is being produced by the Max2606.
By waltr
I googled that VCO chip and found a number of projects that use it for a simple FM radio.
No PLL was used so it seems that it may be stable enough with a XTAL reference and phase locking.
Have you tried it to see if it'll work without a PLL?
By Mickey
Hi Waltr, I have a primitive setup on a bread board. I know that is not the way to go, but sometimes I can get a great signal. Then it go's all over the place. I'm a newbie at this and I have to look into XTAL approach. Thank you for your help.
By waltr
It could just be the breadboard that is causing the issues. These are not that good for RF circuits and since your circuit is a VCO and tiny resistance change in a connection can cause havoc.
Try doing the circuit with all connections soldered. The 'dead bug' construction technique works well for RF circuits.