SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By linuxdev
I just started working with a new JTAG debugger, and have the correct interface set up. From various documentation, I had thought that perhaps there is already support ARM Cortex A series, but this very popular chip series seems completely absent through OpenOCD version 0.8.0. I see some of the C files for building OpenOCG even refer to cortex_a, but no cfg files are found.

Am I just missing something, and there is a cortex_a config file around, and various board and target files for some of the Cortex A9 SoCs? I expect the recent A15 to be absent, but very very close to A9, so I'm hoping somewhere is a public source of A9 OpenOCG configurations.
By hsutherl
I see imx6.cfg, omap4430.cfg, and omap4460.cfg in scripts/target, plus ti_pandaboard.cfg in scripts/board. I personally would have no idea how to adapt one of those scripts for a different A9 device...
By linuxdev
hsutherl wrote:I see imx6.cfg, omap4430.cfg, and omap4460.cfg in scripts/target, plus ti_pandaboard.cfg in scripts/board. I personally would have no idea how to adapt one of those scripts for a different A9 device...
This is the problem. The ARM Cortex A9 is very common, so I'm surprised I don't see more config files for different cortex_a or A9 devices. cortex_a is referenced in C files for building OpenOCD, but should be abstracted out into config files as well. I'm also surprised I don't see some popular nVidia Tegra board files. The A15 is new enough I don't expect to see much, but it is "almost exactly" an A9 that's faster.

I was able to start some config files, but nothing is far enough along for it to be useful.