SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By cwb212001
Greetings & thanks for reading. I'm new to all of this and looking for opinions on the feasibility of what I'm trying to do before starting the fun part of teaching myself how to do it. What I'd like to do is build a GPS receiver & logger that would use WiFi to offload the logs whenever it found any open or unsecured network. Ultimately I would like for it to report it's current location once the WiFi connection has been established and if there is still a connection available resume offloading any remaining data that's been logged while there wasn't a connection. At a minimum I'm looking for the WiFi to auto connect and keep reporting it's position as long as there is a signal. I understand that auto-connecting to any unsecured network found without user intervention will likely be challenging; starting & stopping file dumps without finishing will be difficult; I'm not worried about parsing the NMEA string at first; I'll need to figure out a destination for the data that gets dumped. I'm sure there's a lot more that I'm not aware of. I was thinking I'd start out with an Uno and get a GPS shield outputting NMEA sentences & then look at how to incorporate the WiFi side of things. Since this will be installed in a vehicle I'd also like to use external antennas for both RF platforms as well as use ignition sense, delayed sleep mode & possibly low voltage disconnect. I appreciate any input you have, any recommendations on hardware, anything at all. Thanks!