SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By Boots
Hey everyone,

I am trying to get a product out the door that contains both a cellular module (Telit HE910) and an Bluegiga 112 BLE module. However I am somewhat stumped by the FCC regulations. Both modules list FCC certification but I know there are caveats and problems for multi-tansmitter products, would this application potentially invalidate their FCC compliance and require re-testing for radio compliance? I understand that I need to test the finished product for EMC compliance (ie: unintentional radiator) but that is considerably cheaper and faster than having to redo intentional radiator compliance checks. Would this also invalidate PCTCRB certifications as well for the cellular module?

Also, the cellular modules are not sold with antenna nor do they seem to list a recommended or certified antenna, thus how can the cellular module have modular radio compliance? Wouldn't I need to get radio compliance anyway with my chosen antenna?

Certifications are complicated:neutral:
By waltr
From what I understand is that once you embed a module, even if it has FCC acceptance, you need to have you finial product tested and certified.
Contact a Test Lab that does FCC and CE testing and ask them what you need.
Yes, this is complicated, its the government so why would it be simple.
By stevech
yes, but cost and schedule benefit from getting a test waiver by referencing the OEM modules' test reports. The end item product might need a test report if it has electronics other than the modem that are subject to Part 15 rules.