SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Ross Robotics
Long shot here but anybody using Altium, where do you get your libraries from? I am shocked that it doesn't come with any libraries.. So far I have downloaded some from http://techdocs.altium.com/display/ADOH ... +Libraries, but there has to be an easier way. So far I can barely find the basic components. I can't even find an ATmega328..

I am trying out Altium due to other features and I am finding that it's way over complicated. Or, am I just used to Eagle?
By Purple Squirrel
codlink
Im using Altium and the tool does come with some libraries already installed. Granted two are generic and the rest are peripherals for FPGAs but the Altium website does have a good selection of parts libraries. Also you should check Git-Hub as well as there are some decent libraries there.
By Ross Robotics
Thanks, but I uninstalled it awhile back as I really didn't have time to learn a new PCB design program. It's sad because I believe Altium would be a good asset. Especially for the 3D capabilities. I may give it another shot in the future. I will stick with Eagle for now. I just wish the process for creating a 3D model was easier as I still haven't figured out how to generate one yet.
By funkathustra
Altium is overwhelmingly better than Eagle in every respect -- they're not even in the same category. I'm really surprised anyone with a license for Altium would ever touch anything else.

That link you posted is for old, pre-2010 libraries. All new libraries are now on Altium Live:
http://designcontent.live.altium.com/

This is well-documented -- it pops up when you sign into your Altium Live account, so I'm not sure how you missed it.

As for 3D models, you'd typically get them from a place like 3D Content Central, or draw them in a mechanical CAD package (I use SolidWorks). You can place basic 3D shapes in Altium, but if you want photo-realistic models, you'll have to get them from outside and import them as STEP models. Just read the docs.
By Ross Robotics
I never said I had an account.. I am not going to pay for software before I try it. I also don't know why you found it necessary to reply to this as I have already stated it's been deleted. When I stated creating 3D models was a pain, I meant Eagle. I use Solidworks as well and I am very proficient at it. I have an account with 3D Central for a few years now..