SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By cnorm5623
Hi so I am curious if it is possible with two Xbee series 1 modules to pass I/O both ways.

So on one end have to digital inputs and one output and on the other end have two digital outputs and one input.

is it possible without use of an Arduino or such micro controller?
unfortunately I ordered two series 2 xbees that i found out after the fact they don't do DIO line passing so i have a couple series 1 on order but was hoping someone has already done this. :think:

Thanks
By Valen
I have never tried it, but I see no reason why it should not work. I can't imagine what might conflict. Just make sure the DL and DH registers in each Xbee is pointing to the other. And that the pin that is passed on to the other xbee, is different from what the other xbee is giving out itself. Meaning, D1 can only pass to D1 and none else.

For the basic linepassing settings follow this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQEo2Ow1Qs

However, wouldn't you first want to make sure something works, before buying something? I would have asked Digi for confirmation first.
By stevech
cnorm5623 wrote:Hi so I am curious if it is possible with two Xbee series 1 modules to pass I/O both ways.

So on one end have to digital inputs and one output and on the other end have two digital outputs and one input.

is it possible without use of an Arduino or such micro controller?
unfortunately I ordered two series 2 xbees that i found out after the fact they don't do DIO line passing so i have a couple series 1 on order but was hoping someone has already done this. :think:

Thanks
yes. Two properly configured XBees can exchange digital Input and output bits.

Sparkfun has long been unable/unwilling to clarify what the intent and limitations of the XBee series 2 (vs. series 1) are and why most experimenters and students should not purchase Series 2. Many waste valuable time because of this.
By cnorm5623
Thanks for the replies. My Series 1's will be here tomorrow and I will Play.

Yes I should have asked first before buying, I got caught up in all the excitement of what I found in these and just assumed the 2 was better than 1. oh well. I should be able to use the 2's for something fun down the road.