SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By rossgk
I have an existing project, a few years old, which is working fine. I've recently picked up a Sparkfun PoEthernet shield to create a duplicate system to continue development while the other system is in use.

Initially there was no problem and I could start tweaking code. The code changes have all been innocuous, altering print stmts for the serial port, adding comments.

After 20 or 30 successful programming cycles, suddenly I cannot load my code anymore. I get the error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I'm aware that this is the common error for users who have the wrong board selected in the Arduino IDE, but that is not the case. I haven't changed it, still using the UNO I started with. I tried other board selections after the failure, to see if something else would work, but no dice.

If I unplug the PoEthernet Shield I can load my code into the UNO fine. Put it back on, and the code runs, with the Ethernet functions working.

Careful microscope inspection of the header pins show them all to be soldered fine, nice filets and clean, free of any solder bridges, or debris.

Do you think I've got a bad Ethernet shield? Infant mortality issue? Are these things returnable at point of sale?

Thx
Ross.
By Ross Robotics
The only change you made was to the code. So post your code in code tags. It seems like when you added "print" statements, it is causing a conflict with Serial communication. That is why you can upload code when the shield is unplugged. Nothing can interfere with pins o and 1 on the UNO.