SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By ajhalls
I am starting a new project where I need to send out emails and SMS messages which will be relayed via Ethernet. I am on the fence as to what hardware to use. I have seen the boards with built in ethernet, some even have built in GSM, none have both that I see. It is going to be sending out lots of messages each day and will probably set it up with multiple devices. I haven't quite decided what my business model is yet whether I sell just the code to send out reminder texts, and the end user has their own hardware, or if it is a managed solution where all the data gets sent to me and I send them out. Either way, reliability and stability is going to be key.

I haven't ever done a project like this and don't know if I should be using Arduino or Raspberry Pi as the starting point. I have a programmer that is going to do all the techy stuff, but I want to make sure we are building on a solid foundation hardware wise. Looking for a set of hardware suggestions I can buy from someone who has participated in a project like this.
By Ross Robotics
Have you tried Google? There are lots of tutorials for SMS, including Arduino, RaspberryPi, BeagleBone, Teensy, respectively.
By ajhalls
True, but which is best for driving an email, SMS and potentially a voice reminder call? It seems like Raspberry Pi would be perfect, but I only see one GPRS module for it as opposed to dozens for the Arduino. This could mean they hit a homerun on the first try, or it could mean my project dies if I can't get the only one available to work the way I want.

Or I could do something like this: http://microcontrollershop.com/product_ ... fgod0XEAQw where you put an arduino ON the RaspberryPi and then do the GPRS (honestly, I didn't even know that was possible till I saw this)

I know it doesn't look like I have used google, but I have and find so much info including links to unsupported chipsets, drivers, modules and such that I was hoping to find someone who has done this before give me a nudge in the right direction for what is good now, as opposed to 6 months ago (which in a new area like this could be completely different today).
By Ross Robotics
The controller you use would depend on how far you want to go with it. Arduino would be good for SMS, and a few other things. Get up to RasPi and BeagleBone, then the possibilities are endless.

If all you want to do is ethernet than an Arduino is more than enough. https://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=ethernet