SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By tuffstuff
Hi,

I was hoping some other hobbyists could point me where I can find Cherry keyswitches with LEDs. I am designing a couple of specialty midi devices and I would like to use tactile keyswiches that blink with LED like some best old gear and some of the new stuff too ( http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm ... so nice ... ). I've been looking for hours for someone supplying Cherry keys with LEDs. Does anyone know any suppliers or could suggest another make/model of LED keyswitch?

Thanks,
By tuffstuff
Yes these will have to do, but where are the LED Cherry ones? Is it just me or are Cherry keyswitches the best? There's a reason why they are the most preferred key switch for mechanical keyboards (using them right now). It's strange but the LED variety seem to be completely absent from the usual retailers. Maybe they don't make them anymore?

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll contact Cherry and ask what's up. I'll let folks know what I find.
By tuffstuff
Yes, those are the keyswitches, but there is a varieties of that switch that have a red, green, or yellow LED embedded. The product code's second to last digit would be a R, G, Y instead of an N. This style of switch would be a very nice addition to any midi sequencer type hardware.
By tuffstuff
I talked to Cherry and they said they have discontinued them. Here's the message:
I am sorry but we deactivated the BOMs for the blue MX with red LED. It would require a minimum order quantity of 24,000 pcs and the lead time would be about 12 months. I would suggest getting the standard blue MX and then sourcing your own LED.
I ordered a bunch from Digikey and it looks adding an LED would be really easy. It has the holes drilled out and everything. I just need to put one in. I also ordered an other tactile switches (digikey pt num 5511MBLKRED) and it is really nice. I may end up using it for the specific project I am working on. It doesn't wiggle like the Cherry's do, which may be better when press timing is important.

Thanks for you all input!