SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By treez
Hello,
Its well known that application Software is copied in various countries on an enormous scale.

However, PCB Layout software is very rarely copied.

For example, undercover "industrial spys" went to China and were not able to buy bootlegged copies of Altium, Cadstar, Pads, Pulsonix, Mentor Graphics.
-they were able to buy plenty of other bootlegged software.

Is the reason that the above softwares are not bootlegged in China (for example) because there are no "idiot's guides" to the above softwares?

In other words, if one uses any of the above softwares, then one is highly likely to encounter serious difficulties in using the software, and due to the fact that the User Manuals are kept , shall we say, "not that crystal clear", then if you get stuck using one of these PCB Layout packages, then quite often, the only way to get round your problem is to seek help directly from the PCB Layout software company itself........when you do request help from them, they can then check that you have payed your license fee.

..In this way, the aforementioned PCB Layout softwares manage to avoid having their PCB Layout software getting bootlegged.

Is this true?

Its just that I notice that in the case of the above mentioned softwares, there are no manuals or tutorials etc which aren't originated by the designers of the software itself.

In the case of the Eagle PCB layout software, which *IS* widely used in China, there are loads of "idiots guides" for it, authored by "every man and his dog"...not only that, but the limited version of eagle is free, so nobody has to copy it, as its free anyway.

So is this the reason why there are no crystal clear "idiot's guides" to PCB Layout Software's mentioned above?...ie because they are worried about getting the software bootlegged?

And why are there no learning materials for the aforementioned pcb layout softare packages that are authored externally to the actual software designer company?
That is, why are there no externally authored learning materials for eg Altium, Cadstar, Pads, Mentor graphics, pulsonix, Orcad, etc etc?
By leon_heller
I use Pulsonix, it has excellent documentation including a Users Guide with a Getting Started section and additional documents describing how to use the advanced features. They provide on-site training for their larger customers. It's much easier to use than Eagle, with excellent help facilities, and most users should be able to use it without needing to consult the documentation. There isn't any need for additional documentation.
By treez
OK.
I have used both eagle and pulsonix.
I struggled with pulsonix.
Eagle was so simple it was like falling out of bed.

I think that all PCB layout packages (or one main one) should be made free, so that "idiots guides" can be made for them by external authors..(this tends to happen when a software becomes free, as with eagle)...in all cases, with eagle, it is the externally authored learning materials which are the best...cadsoft's own tutorials are ok, but not as good as the external stuff.......

its like trying to learn Mpasm FROM the Microchip site....its too hard, but external stuff like the babani books make it easier.

I have no connection with eagle, and I do not care which pcb layout package should be made free......I would be happy if pulsonix were made free and made THE pcb layout package.

Doing this (making it free) WOULD HELP INDUSTRY TO PROGRESS and not suffer with pcb layout staff shortages.

I was doing a job with pulsonix in 2009. I kept asking my problems on forums and being told, "go away and read the manual"....it did not help.....ask on a forum about eagle and you get loads of help, plus from the externally authored tutorials.
By lyndon
Awesome. So why don't you spend a few thousand hours writing a copy of pulsonix software and release it for free if you're so convinced that it will help industry to progress.
By yamitenshi
Lyndon has a very good point. There's a reason these things cost money - writing a functioning user interface is a pain, and then you still have to do a back end, which is insanely hard if you want to incorporate things like a good autorouter.

Kudos for some developers making their programs free, but I'm not blaming anybody for charging money for their application. After all, you don't expect someone to just build you a house for free.
By motopic
OP is wanting to develop a solution in search of a problem.

The pcb software is just the tip of your issues designing electronics.
The engineering support needed to dev a product is much larger than the price of the sw.
Even if you did dev a product, if you sell it in the USA, anything requiring liscenture or certification, UL, FCC, etc will cost you WAYYYY more than the pcb software. UL alone was going to cost us $40k per round of tests, which you do until you pass.

Finally, just use FreePCB. Its your free, open source pcb software, thats easy to use, and powerful.
Join the FreePCB forum, write the Idiots Guide to FreePCB, make lots of money.