SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By peskywinnets
I prefer to work with srpb paper based copper board (FR2) on account I mill my proto pcbs with a CNC machine & it produces a far better grade of dust for inhalation(!).

The little I've tried with reflowing FR2 was a disaster ...basically the board explodes & jumps around once it gets somewhere over 200C (admittedly this was with a somewhat crude converted toaster over, a thermocouple & me acting as the thermostat!)

I was therefore wondering if anyone who owns a Chinese reflow oven has tried reflow with FR2 (SRPB) ...becaUse i'm sure such reflow oven are a fair bit more accurate than my manual method & should stop the temperature getting out of hand.

so...any sprb reflow success stories?
By lyndon
I'm always curious about those ovens myself, so I hope you get some responses.

I do my reflow manually, are you perhaps heating the board too quickly? The only time I've ever had anything close to a board "exploding" was when I lost track of time and left a board in too long.
By peskywinnets
I'm quite possibly heating the board too quickly, but I do think the paper based boards are more sensitive to an overheat va a standard fibre glass type board (hence hoping someone can chime in) ...but I'd much rather work with paper baser boards due to the evil powder that fibre glass boards put out when being CNC'ed
By lyndon
Yeah, FR4 is nasty stuff and quite abrasive also. You might get a better answer on Adafruit's SMT forum. There are a few professional PCB fab guys who post there.