SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By victorf
I have just created a new folder called MyWIClib.lbr in a location of my own choosing -
not in the Eagle CAD install directory and I have modified the Options - Directories to reflect the
location of this folder. The library is currently empty. I am running Eagle CAD version 6.4.0. I am unable to to figure out how to start creating a new component in this new library. The library name shows up in the Control Panel under Libraries.

I have been trying, for 2 days now, to create a new part in this library with absolutely NO luck. I could
use some guidance in exactly how to accomplish this, especially how to get started.

Any help would be appreciated!

Vic Fraenckel
By Kamiquasi
Eagle libraries are files, rather than folders. So what you'd want to do is start Eagle, then in its main screen (Control Panel) go to File > New > Library. Save this file to whatever path you want to use (keep in mind that if you keep that folder, you can't save it under the same name on Windows), and add devices/symbols/packages to your heart's content :)
By victorf
Kamiquasi, Thanks for answering. I am not sure I understand this part of your answer:

"(keep in mind that if you keep that folder, you can't save it under the same name on Windows)"

For example the Spark fun Library has quite a few parts in it. I have created this library, E:\Eagle\MyLib to hold my components and I can't figure out how to store my parts in it
By Kamiquasi
I meant that if you have a folder "E:\Eagle\MyWIClib.lbr\", you can't create a file called "E:\Eagle\MyWIClib.lbr" because Windows doesn't allow that, you'd have to rename the folder first. I only mentioned it in case you left that folder there :)

See dlotton's reply for some detailed step-by-step instructions on how to create a library file :)