SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By evilc66
Having a little issue here, and I hope someone can help me out.

I have an Arduino Pro Mini (328, 5v) with a Bluetooth Mate Silver connected to the FTDI port. I know that the two are working, as I have managed to successfully pair the device with my smartphone (RAZR HD), and control the on board LED with some simple code and some characters entered into a BT SPP app. When I connect using the phone, the green connection light comes on.

Now, when I try the same thing with Windows 7, I can discover the device using the "Add Devices" wizard, but I never seem to be able to pair the two devices, even though I have entered the pairing code successfully. The computer in question is a Dell Mini 1012 with a Dell 365 Bluetooth modem (internal). I can pair my phone to the computer, so it seems it's working.

I'm going to try and get my other laptop with BT working to see if it is the Mini1012 that is the issue, but in the mean time, anyone have any ideas/solutions?
By evilc66
Tried connecting with another laptop, but same results.

I took the BT module and plugged it into an UNO and used the example software in the tutorial to probe the device to see if it was working correctly. I managed to see the settings, and even changed the name of the device easily enough. I can also probe for surrounding BT devices, and I can see my laptop (as well as other devices), but it fails when trying to connect.

I have also used this sketch as a serial bridge to my phone, and it works perfectly. I think we know that the BT module is fine.

Does this help at all with trying to figure out my issue?
By evilc66
Looks like the issue is with the bluetooth modules used in Dell machines :( Both the 355 and 365 modules are using Broadcom chipsets. I had an older Logitech bluetooth adapter for a keyboard/mouse set that seems to have either a different chipset, or at least better driver software. I'll still keep poking around to see if I can get the Dell bluetooth modules to work.

If anyone else has any experience with this, please post here.
By Snofe
I have excatly the same problem as you decribes:

"I took the BT module and plugged it into an UNO and used the example software in the tutorial to probe the device to see if it was working correctly. I managed to see the settings, and even changed the name of the device easily enough. I can also probe for surrounding BT devices, and I can see my laptop (as well as other devices), but it fails when trying to connect."

I have tried pairing it with 2 different PC's (Dell latitude E551 and Lenovo Yoga 13) and a Android phone, but I can't get a connection :-(