SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Mach3Maelstrom
I want each of my EAGLE components to automatically provide the part number next to the component, like below. (BM06B-SRSS-TB(TF)(SN))

Altium lets you do this automatically, but I want to start doing that in EAGLE. The above example, I manually wrote them in the Info layer, but when I start doing larger designs this will be very cumbersome.

I also want that text to be "smashable". If I just type the part number directly into the component, I can't smash it and move it to clean up my schematics.

If anyone can teach me how to do this, I'd be very grateful. Thanks!
By UNTEngineer
Just use >NAME and >VALUE when creating the part in your library. And then when you want to add a value, go to your schematic and put in the part number.

You could also just enter in the part number manually in the library on the layer you want it to show, and just do this for every part.

Not sure what you mean by providing parts numbers automatically though. Theres a bit of manual work you have to do on Eagle as far as Im aware.
By Mach3Maelstrom
UNTEngineer: Thanks for your reply!
You could also just enter in the part number manually in the library on the layer you want it to show, and just do this for every part.
I've tried this, but as I wrote in the OP, I can't move the text if I rotate the part in my schematic. I want to be able to "smash" the component and move the text if it's necessary.
By UNTEngineer
I see what you mean now. I dont think that feature is available with the free version of Eagle, but I will investigate some more and let you know. I am interested my self. Would be a very useful feature.

For me, I usually just put some footnotes in the part description with the P/N and extra details. Ive also just entered in text (as the info or document layer) in my schematics for the P/N. But Its not standard practice to include a P/N on your board design, so I dont. I know how time consuming this could be if you want to do all your parts, but I usually stick to labeling speciality/unique parts, and everything else is inputted in the BOM. You could always fetch the BOM later for reference.