SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Mach3Maelstrom
SparkFun, this one's for you! :D

Hi all, I'm a hobbyist-turned-product-developer. I'm a hobbyist by nature (lots of prototyping & troubleshooting experience, not as much in proper organized documentation), so I'd like to know if anyone has an organized way of collecting information when they iterate a product. I've read SparkFun's Prototyping Tricks and Tips PDF for some tips already, but would like to see a template/system that implements this as I learn better from seeing specific examples.

Ideally, I'd like some sort of Word or Excel template to keep up with design changes implemented, problems found during troubleshooting, schematics, layout, firmware, IOM information, my contact information, and any other important things you may think I'm leaving out. I also could use some advice on some good practices on maintaining such documentation.

Thanks!
By fll-freak
For many projects we create a shared area on a file server to act as a repository of data. It is first divided by function (SW, electronics, mechanical, management, Failure investigations, ...). Inside each function the group creates logical directories for those tasks. All pertinent data is stored here. This might include data sheets, critical emails from sub contractors, specifications from customers, design review presentations, action item lists from reviews, etc. It does not include code or final documents. These are stored in a version control system like CVS, SVS, or GIT.

In each area is a "people" directory that has a subdir for each member on that team. Their important files are kept there. A "tools" directory also includes all the install files and license keys for programs downloaded from the web. Of course these are all vetted by our legal department to insure we are not violating any license agreements. The whole project (other than the version control database) can the backed up from this one slice on the file server.

Now each discipline has unique documentation they must maintain as per the gazillion of company, customer, and ISO procedures we are following on the project. Some examples might be the results of peer reviews, or the detailed investigations of a failure report. All that is well outside the scope of a forum and is often proprietary.
By Mach3Maelstrom
Thanks fll-freak! That's all extremely helpful!

Apologies, I didn't mean to come off like I'm requesting proprietary information. I'm simply looking for good structures/practices to implement in my own projects to keep everything well organized.
By fll-freak
I did not assume that you were looking for proprietary data, I was just warning you that some information you might like is likely not going to be available.

You can start to develop your own "procedures". What do I do for conceptual design, what do I do for prelim design, detailed design, implementation, testing, and delivery. Start a checklist for each than train yourself to add to the checklist each and every time you screw up. The lists can get big, but looking them over at each stage often keeps you out of trouble.

Also add a disaster recovery plan that includes regular and offsite backups. My home system burns a DVD of everything that has changed on my file server at least once a week and I mail the disk to a relative for safe keeping.

Also some means of insuring that all your requirements are meet is a good idea. Something like IBM's DOORS is an overkill, but a database or spreadsheet of some sort might be a good idea. What was my customer requirement, Who (SW/HW/Mech/...) owns it, how and where will it be tested, ...
By Mach3Maelstrom
Thanks for these suggestions, fll-freak! I consider this solved!

To let you know how your advice has helped me:
  • I've implemented the folder structure last night and added a few of the documents (i.e. my ULPs, documents, project schedule, etc).
  • I've got a similar list already going, so that's great to hear that advice from you (I'm going in the right direction). I'll continue to add to it.
  • I like your backup system. I use a combination of Dropbox and SyncBack to automatically back up my files every evening to a Dropbox file. Very easy to program, set, & forget. (To contribute: Fellow forumers can follow this link to set this up)
  • I'll be putting together my own templates shortly. They'll look messy at first I'm sure (like every alpha version), but I'll sculpt it over time.