SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By umairamin
hey....goodafternoon....i hope you all will be fine.i am having a very strange problem, i have 2 wifly RN modules and a pc enabled with wifi card (ITSD).one day i powered up both modules in adhoc mode and run the scan command.first attempt , nothing was found (it should have been found other wifly module and pc with wifly card.....) running scan command in module 2, ITSD(wifi card installed in pc) was found. :-( (why random behaviour).....both modules have been showing random behaviour with scan command...sometimes they found acces points sometimes not, sometimes one module found access points but other didnot...anyone here to help me out plz?? how can i overcome this problem??? thanks
By Gsm Man
That verion of firmware has a lot of issues with the scan command - update the WiFly to the latest version of firmware.
By Gsm Man
The WiFly Manual on Roving Networks' web site lists all of the versions along with details on how to do the update: http://www.rovingnetworks.com/resources ... ser_Manual.
By umairamin
thanx Gsm Man. i am trying to update firmware..first i connected to internet through accesspoint(witribe). Connection built successfully..but when i execute "ftp update " command........following things appear

ftp connecting to 208.109.78.34
ftp timeout=2 :-(

i dont know why this all is happening to me..i have no idea why ftp is timeouting... can anyone help me to get me out of this ?regards
By Gsm Man
Your command syntax is wrong, you need to supply the file name. Also, you should set the user name, directory and password as they may have changed from the factory default values. Finally, the Roving Networks FTP Servers have moved a couple of times. The full set of commands you should send:
Code: Select all
set ftp address 198.175.253.161
set ftp dir ./public
set ftp user roving
set ftp pass Pass123
ftp update wifly7-236.img
Thanks Gsm Man for the working info.
I ever asked Microchip recently how to update fireware because info in the manual did not work.
It took sometime and come back to me with the link to follow. And it did not work either.
Then I sent another ticket saying that I followed your link and did not work and to advise.
I did not receive any reply till now. Maybe they don't care customer like me because they know that we don't buy bulk items.

Now I follow Gsm Man info and it works.
Thanks again.

Regards
Hi,
i have got a wifly (firmeware 2.20). I tried to update it with the commands from gsm man.
The command set ftp dir ./public provokes the "ERR: Bad Args". I think it is not changeable in that old firmeware version.
The command ftp update wifly7-236.img provokes "FTP timeout=4"

There is a working internet connection (At least i get a response after sending a ping to a server through internet...)
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Hami
By Gsm Man
Try sending the following and see if you get an error using these commands:
Code: Select all
set ftp address 0
set dns name rn.microchip.com
save
ftp update
Thank you for your reply.

i get the following
"FTP connecting to 0.0.0.0"
"FTP timeout=2"

tried that several times...

the command "ping rn.microchip.com" provokes:
"Ping try 198.175.253.161"
and "64 bytes from 198.175.253.161: seq=1 ttl=116 time=254.91 ms"

Tank you for your help
Hami
By umairamin
hey brother how are you..gosh i need your help. i m also facing "ftp timeout=2" problem.
after sending these commands

set ftp address 0
set dns name rn.microchip.com
i also tried "ftp u"

then i tried these set of commands
{
set ftp address 198.175.253.161
set ftp dir ./public
set ftp user roving
set ftp pass Pass123
}
but couldnt be able to update the firmware. facing same "ftp timeout=2 error" .you were also facing this problem, i need to know how did you solve it..
i ll be very thankful to you.
regards