SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By kinema
From what I've read by Sparky and others hotplate reflowing works great, better then other methods such as toaster oven reflowing. As I see it there are a few issues that need to be tackled to perfect this method.

The issues I speak of are profile control, plate flatness, high voltage interface and wattage requirements. I feel that these obstacles can be overcome but there is a price. Hot plates/skillets from Target may be cheap but if you are planning on reflowing more then a board or two a month why not buy a better plate?

What better plate is there? The Corning PC-600 [1] or one of its smaller siblings [2]. Now a PC-600 is going to run you more the $300 new but you get a quality piece of equipment. This puppy sports a 1000 watt element capable of heating to 1022°F (550°C), its damn flat and has a quite uniform thermal output across the 10"x10" ceramic top.

Another nice feature is the accessory socket for connection to external temperature controller (this is a proprietary interface but I'm sure it can be reverse engineered). This interface would keep all the HV inside a professionally manufactured device that has been designed and built work in hazardous environments (chem labs).

What do you all think? It may be considerably more expensive but I feel that it is much better suited to the task.

--adam

[1] http://catalog2.corning.com/Lifescience ... anguage=EN

[2] http://catalog2.corning.com/Lifescience ... anguage=EN
By geekything
I used them in a previous life...very good.

I just bought a cheap skillet to play with...am looking forward to it!

-marc
By roach
bah. A glass casserole dish on the stove top works fine for me (just have to make sure to wash it, since I'm not using Pb-free solder).

You kids today, with your fancy hotplates. In MY day, we used a flat rock and a zippo lighter!
By Philba
I check out thrift store and found a crepe maker that seems to have a pretty uniform temperature distribution. It also has no sides so access to the board is easy.

The biggest problem is thermal profile (uncontrolled heat up, cook down) but I guess I can live with that. For $5, I can't complain.
By geekything
roach wrote:bah. A glass casserole dish on the stove top works fine for me (just have to make sure to wash it, since I'm not using Pb-free solder).
You better not be making tuna casserole in that afterwards!

-marc
By roach
geekything wrote:You better not be making tuna casserole in that afterwards!
Why not? Tuna has loads of mercury in it anyways. The lead just adds that extra piquancy.
By upand_at_them
roach wrote:You kids today, with your fancy hotplates. In MY day, we used a flat rock and a zippo lighter!
We didn't have food either; we ate wool coats and we were happy.

Mike
By roach
upand_at_them wrote:[We didn't have food either; we ate wool coats and we were happy.
Luxury! We ate broken glass for dinner. Dad said it "builds character". I tell you, in my day, we got our fiber the hard way, with a brick through a plate-glass window!
By samlittlewood
I use a cheap hotplate off ebay -~15 quid IIRC.

The thing that makes it work for me is an IR gun style thermometer w/ laser - again ebay for about 30 quid. It is then really very easy to follow a profile - it is actually an advantage that the plate is not at a uniform temperature. I soak the board on the cooler part, and slide it over the element for a few seconds to reflow, and then slide off onto a paint scraper to cool down.

TTFN

SamL
By upand_at_them
roach wrote:Luxury! We ate broken glass for dinner. Dad said it "builds character". I tell you, in my day, we got our fiber the hard way, with a brick through a plate-glass window!
At least you had a house. We used to live in a corridor.

Mike
By roach
We lived in a lake! And every morning we had to get up and lick the lake clean!
By upand_at_them
:D
By sparky
Are you guys done yet? :)

To re-iterate: The hot-plate technique is in my opinion MUCH better that the toaster oven trick. We've been reflowing boards for ~1 year now. Same hot-plate actually - no tuna caserole...

The latest push is to go lead-free. The stock hot-plate couldn't get hot enough. We tried upping the input voltage to ~150V with a variable transformer, and it would get hot, but then shut off around 480F. Silly me, I forgot there was a thermostat in the handle of the hot-plate. So forget the variable transformer. We pulled the 5 screws from the power-plug-dial thing on the side of the plate, bent away the mechanical stop on the dial, and wammo, we've got a hot-plate that will ramp up to 500F nicely. Lead-free capable.

-Nathan
By amcfall
"You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road."
By RonnyM
By the way...Which one's Monty?