SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By jcm
Hello,

I moved to the US from the UK a number of years ago now. When I was a kid/teenager, I could go to a store called Maplin, which used to be a bit like Radioshack (but much cooler). You could go grab a bunch of parts and they'd have everything...it was awesome. Since I've moved here, I've been very disappointed by the lack of ease with which one can just go buy a range of values of certain parts. Yes, there's digikey, Adafruit, and you guys, and yes you have a couple of parts kits (I've ordered one), but I think a lot more can be done. Could you consider carrying separate generic assortments of resistors, diodes, transistors, etc.? It would be awesome if I could just buy "assorted resistors" and get what I used to be able to get - a bag of several hundred through hole resistors, 10 of each type on a strip. Similar for other components.

For some reason, this has to be hard in this country, but I know you can help fix it :)

Jon.
By leon_heller
Resistor and capacitor kits, and other components, are available from several suppliers on Ebay.
By souplogic
Jameco also sells lots of passive component kits and grab bags.

Check out:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... CH%252BNAV

(having trouble making that pretty but clicking it should still work)

sparkfun is not really a general components store, they sell high-level kits and specialized components (along with documentation and community support) to integrate into electronics projects as well as some tools and assortments where they are advantageous to beginning tinkerers.

I have been trying to nail down a good low-volume, hobby friendly site to supplement stuff I get from SFE, I think Jameco is probably my preference so far.