SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By sylvie369
I updated, as it were, to Eagle 5.8.0, and now I spend most of my time wrestling with libraries. Back in the previous version (5.3.0) I created my own library file to hold the devices that I use the most often. That was working fine while I was in that earlier version. Now, though, my file usually doesn't appear in the list of libraries to use when I start the new version, and I seem to have created a copy somehow, somewhere, so when I do find my library I'm never sure which version I'm using.

I'd have thought that I could just find the library file in a subfolder somewhere in the Eagle 5.3.0 folder, and copy it to the corresponding subfolder of the Eagle 5.8.0 folder, like you would have done back in the old pre-Windows days. But it doesn't appear in any file listings. As far as Windows is concerned, my library file doesn't exist.

What do I do to make an existing library available to the newer version of Eagle?
By TheDirty
You shouldn't have to do anything, but you might want to put your library in a different directory. Then just add your directory to the library variable in the options->directories menu. That way you don't need to keep copying your custom libraries forward. Same with your projects directory.
By sylvie369
Okay, that worked. Apparently I can do it from inside of Eagle, with the Open and Save As commands, even though they are invisible (or nonexistent?) in Windows. I hate that.

Thanks.
By Greg Erskine
sylvie369 wrote:Okay, that worked. Apparently I can do it from inside of Eagle, with the Open and Save As commands, even though they are invisible (or nonexistent?) in Windows. I hate that.
This doesn't make sense. Eagle PCBs, schematics and libraries are files and always exist in your directory structure somewhere.

The libraries available are per project, not global. Use the control panel to open projects, then add or subtract libraires using the control panel. Alternatively, you can use keyins.

regards
By sylvie369
Greg Erskine wrote:
sylvie369 wrote:Okay, that worked. Apparently I can do it from inside of Eagle, with the Open and Save As commands, even though they are invisible (or nonexistent?) in Windows. I hate that.
This doesn't make sense. Eagle PCBs, schematics and libraries are files and always exist in your directory structure somewhere.
"It doesn't make sense" is exactly how I feel about it. I want my file system to show me my files - it seems to me that should be the point.

I'm sure they're in my directory structure somewhere, but when I go through Windows to find them, they do not appear, either in the directory that Eagle says they're in, or in a search of my hard disk. The libraries that came in the download of Eagle are all there, but my custom libraries are not. A search of C: shows a shortcut to

"C:\Program Files\EAGLE-5.8.0\lbr\Paul.lbr"

but when I go to

C:\Program Files\EAGLE-5.8.0\lbr

there is no file named Paul.lbr there, at least in the directory listing. All of the standard libraries are there, but my custom one is not, or it's invisible, or something of that sort.
Greg Erskine wrote:The libraries available are per project, not global. Use the control panel to open projects, then add or subtract libraires using the control panel. Alternatively, you can use keyins.
That's helpful as well - I did not know that (about the libraries being "per project").

When I go through the Control Panel, I do find the file, but not when I go through just Windows outside of Eagle. I guess that's supposed to be telling me to do this kind of thing from inside of Eagle, hey?

Looking up "keyins"...

Thanks.
By macegr
I put custom libraries in a folder in my home directory. Eagle allows you to specify multiple library paths by using a semicolon separator. Upgrade and all my custom libraries are untouched. I happen to put them and my projects into a DropBox folder, so no matter what computer I use, I have all the same projects and libraries available.
By Greg Erskine
Hi sylvie369,

I can not imagine that the libraries will be hidden. I have never seen that happen. I'm using 5.7 but I don't think they would have changed that.

As TheDirty suggested, from the Control Panel, set Options > Directories > Libraries to
$EAGLEDIR\lbr;C:\Documents and Settings\sylvie369\My Documents\Eagle\My Libraries. Put all your libraries there from now on.

After that in the Control Panel, under Libraries, you will see 'lbr' and 'My Libraries'. Open a project and then click on the grey/green dot to the right of the library name to attach/deattach the library. If you are using projects this will be remembered between sessions. You can right-click on 'lbr' and 'My Libraries' to 'Use all' or "Use none'.

I do the same setup for Projects, scripts etc.

regards
By sylvie369
Hmm. I'm sensing skepticism. <grin>

It's quite possible there's something else about the file system that I don't understand, but here's what is making me say that the library is hidden.

- I saved the library as "Paul.lbr", from inside of Eagle. That's how it appears in my list of libraries, from inside of Eagle.
- No such file appears in C:\Program Files\Eagle-5.3.0\ or any of its subfolders (neither a search nor going through them one at a time shows that file).
- No such file appears in C:\Program Files\Eagle-5.8.0\ or any of its subfolders. A search for that file reveals a shortcut to "C:\Program Files\EAGLE-5.8.0\lbr\Paul.lbr" but when I go to that directory the Paul.lbr file is not there.
- No such file appears in C\Paul C Smith\Documents\eagle or any of its subfolders (ditto).
- Those are the only folders I have that relate to Eagle. On the chance that the libraries are stored in some folder having nothing to do with Eagle, I did a search from root (C:\) for the file - all that I get is that shortcut. Ditto when I do a search from my User directory, or the Program Files directory.
- When I search for a different library - one of the ones that came with the Eagle download - they show up right away, just as I'd expect them to. They also appear in the lists of libraries in the lbr folders. This happens wherever I search from (so I'm not accidentally doing a search that fails to include subdirectories).
- On the chance that maybe when it's saved it doesn't use the .lbr extension, I searched on just "Paul", but found nothing related to Eagle.

I suppose it's possible that it's saved with something added to the front of the filename, or with some completely different name, but that doesn't help me find it, obviously.

I suppose it's possible that I accidentally changed some weird Eagle setting so that it saves my library files under different names. More likely I changed some weird setting so that it hides them.

Regardless, there is a "Paul.lbr" library file, and I'm able to use it once I find it from inside of Eagle, but as far as Windows is concerned, it does not exist.

I guess there's a possibility that it's saved somewhere other than my hard drive, but saying that makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist nutcase.

Am I missing something obvious?
By odingalt
Hi folks,

I'm 32 - I'm an electrical engineer - I have been using computers since age 7. I started out on IBM 8088 on MS-DOS 5.1 (I think, we upgraded to 6.0 when it was available). I write software for a living, as well as architect electrical systems at my local utility. I just wanted to make it absolutely clear that I am not a "noob".

I am experiencing the SAME EXACT phenomena as sylvie369.

When I do a "file->save as" from the library editor, I can see my new custom created .LBR's within C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\lbr

However, if I open up the folder C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\lbr from within windows explorer, my .LBR's are completely missing. I tried going to "Tools->Folder Options" and checked (or unchecked) any and all options that would hide or show files. LBR's are still missing.

I tried dropping to a command window and manually changing to that directory and ran a "dir" command, still no .LBR's.

I tried every variation of dir (including the classic dir /AH) and still no .LBR's.

I go back to EagleCAD 6.5.0 and yup, my libraries are shown in C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\lbr.

So I go to Options-Directories within EagleCAD and my libraries dir is "$EAGLEDIR\lbr".

So I think I'm crazy, I create yet another new library and name it something really unique like "thisisatestlibrary.lbr". It saves and I can view it at "C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\lbr" from within EagleCAD, but again when I go to "C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\lbr" from my windows file explorer, the file is still missing.

I've tried right-clicking within the folder and selecting "refresh".

I've tried doing a windows search on the ENTIRE HARD DRIVE for partialfilename*.lbr (I only did a partial file name in case I mis-spelled, but I also ran a second full hard drive search for the full file name).

This is on my laptop so there is no second hard drive, no DVD drive, no CD-ROM drive, no USB drive, no network drive. This is all done with the network cable unplugged and the wifi disabled (this is how baffling this issue is).

I've literally tried everything and this .LBR cannot be solved.

So, I tried this:

Launch EagleCAD.
Go to your library list, right click and say "open" to open your custom library.
Go to file->save as... to bring up the file save dialog box.
Surf to your lbr directory (if you're not already there) which for me is C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\lbr
Now, scroll down so you can see your .LBR file.
Right-click on it and select copy.
Now, open up a windows file explorer box and surf to your lbr directory again (in my case, C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\lbr)
Now, right-click and do a paste. I get this error message:

"Could not find this item.

This is no longer located in C:\Program Files\EAGLE-6.5.0\lbr. Verify the item's location and try again".

I happen to be in Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit edition, 6.1, build 7601, service pack 1.

This is by far the most maddening experience I've ever had. I've spent a couple of weeks building the custom parts library on my laptop, and I am trying to transfer to my main server in my basement for backup - and so that I can do some serious PCB layout on my computer with a larger monitor, and I am simply unable to get the .LBR off this laptop.

Again, I am not a laptop noob, this is a serious bug with either EagleCAD or Windows itself.

I actually registered on SparkFun for the first time to specifically respond to this post since everyone was so skeptical of sylvie369. This is a real bug people - not noob/operator error.
By odingalt
Moderator, please don't delete my post again, it's not a double post - I am posting the solution. My post above was the problem prior to the solution.

Problem solved!

https://www.element14.com/community/message/62926

This problem is reported in more detailed in the thread above, and includes a working solution.
By Ross Robotics
I never had a problem like that...
By Kerbal
This is a programming-101 "error", permissions...
The files are virtualized because programs cannot "actually" modify the contents of "..\Program Files" without elevation.

"C:\ProgramData\Eagle\Library" should be the install and/or default library path, however, EAGLE was probably written by an electrical engineer, not a windows programmer. That is probably the reason it only saves the size/position of its' windows when you specifically tell it to, unlike basically every other Windows program ever.
Bottom line, EAGLE is sometimes more or less terrible, but always free.

Move the library to:
"C:\ProgramData\Eagle\..." (Win 7)
"C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Eagle\..." (Win <7)
or
"C:\Users\<username>\Eagle..." (Win 7)
"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Eagle\..." (Win <7)
or
"D:\[SkyDrive/Dropbox/EagleLibrary] Folder\..."
and then match the library path within EAGLE.

Also, submit this to CADSoft.
By gator9er
I am having this exact problem. I created a folder in \lbr and then a part in that folder. I searched for it in windows explorer and I could not find the folder. I tried with command prompt run as Administrator. I can see the folder and the file when I open it from Eagle. I can't see it when I open in Windows Explorer or CMD. I was able to use save as to get a copy to my desktop, but I am still wondering where these files are.
By gator9er
Ok this has to be something at the OS level. The files do not show up in anything in Windows, but if you try in Linux, they show up. The files are actually there, but is probably being ignored because it wasn't created by an Administrator.
By Ross Robotics
Have you set "show hidden files and folders?"