SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Everything ARM and LPC
By leon_heller
Rowley has a very nice debugger/simulator. It's worth the money for that alone.

Leon
By waltr
Thanks for the suggestions.
I used the Borland command line interface years ago and have gotten spoiled with IDE's and good debuggers/simulators. Hard to go back.

The CrossWorks looks good and the personal license is a very reasonable price. The CrossConnect JTAG is a bit pricey however.

The Olimex JTAG sold by SparkFun seems to be a Parallel port interface. Any suggestions on a inexpensive USB or Serial JTAG interface that works with CrossWorks for programming and debugging? Or could I just debug in the simulator (like I do with the PICs MPLAB) and program with a serial connection?
By leon_heller
Amontec makes a low-cost USB JTAG that works with CrossWorks. I bought one (for a different chip) and checked that it worked with an ARM, but I usually use the CrossConnect.

Leon
By TheDirty
waltr wrote:The Olimex JTAG sold by SparkFun seems to be a Parallel port interface. Any suggestions on a inexpensive USB or Serial JTAG interface that works with CrossWorks for programming and debugging? Or could I just debug in the simulator (like I do with the PICs MPLAB) and program with a serial connection?
They also have a USB JTAG.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/produc ... ts_id=8278

I use the USB OCD Tiny with Crossworks Studio. Works well.
By raedbenz
Hi!
I guess that alot of you started out with the PIC or AVR and moved on to the ARM, am i right? What made you move to another platform?
Yes you are right. I personnaly started with 8051 (8-bit uC)
Do i need an operating system with the arm if its going to be useful to me?
It depends on the application/end product it self. RTOS have a lot of advantages for big projects, since it is easier in terms of expandability&modularity. On the other hand working with a simple super loop is more reliable and many companies use it for their products.
Is it as easy to run motors with this chip as with the PIC/AVR?
Yes it is.
Is the ARM for me if my aim is on video processing/streaming? Or will the PIC and the AVR do the trick?
Definitely here you need a fast processor than pic/avr. ARM will do the job. But you might need some DSPs. it depends on the application.
Im familiar with intels x86 processors. Would i be better of with a x86 board instead of a board with a ARM on it? Why/why not?
Best thing is try to understand both architectures and you will be ablae to reply to this question.
the x86 is for different kind of applications. for embedded development i recommend ARM. check http://www.embeddedrelated.com/usenet/e ... 3009-1.php