SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By msPW
Hello
Newb here, as you are about to see...

Dumb question, but, how do you actually connect the 2013 chip to whatever circuit you are designing it for, and apply power and ground to the chip?

I mean I understand where all of the I/O pins are, and you just connect the wires and solder for whatever you need onto the disconnect- able board; but how do you actually provide power to the board?

Thanks for your time
By leon_heller
I can't see the problem. If the board has a regulator you simply apply 5V or so to it. If it hasn't, you apply 3V or so.

Leon
By msPW
I probably wasn't clear, sorry.

What I am talking about is, getting power to the target board, once it has been disconnected from the USB programming module, and your ready to mount it to your circuit board.

The target board receives its power and is grounded through those 4 pins where it connects to the USB programmer.

My question is, which pin is which? One pin has to be for power, one for ground, and I am guessing the other two are used for downloading/uploading infor to and from the target board, to the USB programmer.

The four pins down on the bottom.

edit:
I am guessing when actually implementing the board onto your circuit, you actually use pin hole 1 for Vcc, and pin hole 14 for ground?

Therefore, those 4 pins are used ONLY for connecting to the programming board?
By leon_heller
If you check the schematic you should see where to apply the power. You could just buy a mating connector for the 4-way socket and make a little adaptor. Mill-Max makes those connectors.

Leon
By msPW
leon_heller wrote:If you check the schematic you should see where to apply the power. You could just buy a mating connector for the 4-way socket and make a little adaptor. Mill-Max makes those connectors.

Leon

I figured it out. When implementing the target board into the circuit, you simply just use the terminals 1 (supply voltage pin), and terminal 14 (ground) to power the board, and leave those 4 pins totally disconnected. They are actually ONLY used for programming/flashing the board when it is connected to the USB stick. I was confused I thought they were the actual power pins.

Thanks for the help. :D