SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By brainwav
I don't know what the problem is. I have to upload the hex file that you will need for that programmer. Try connecting the programmer connector the opposite way (reverse) and try detecting the chip then. You also have to have power hooked up to the board through the pins on the side. Don't hookup the SPI pins, they are used by the programmer.

Denis.
By brainwav
Here's the hex file you need to upload to the 8x8 module. So rename it to a ,hex instead of .txt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By brainwav
Hi, I don't use the same programmer as you do. Try plugging in the programming cable 180 degrees from what you have now and remember to have the power on the 8x8 matrix on while you are programming.

Denis.
By brainwav
I've looked at your programmer manual and your settings look good. I'm not sure what way the programmer plugs into the board so try both ways. Power the 8x8 module with 5VDC and don't connect any of the SPI pins on the 8x8 to anything for now. I find it messes up the programming. Try reading the signature with this setup (trying the programmer plugged in both ways). Also see if you can read the board voltage to see if you are in fact supplying 5VDC to it.
By alxx
Anyone used one of these from a gumstix overo or beagle board ?
Looks like it shouldn't be to hard to get it up and running

Just setting up a new remote experiment/lab for students to use and looking at having 4 - 8
of the matrix per gumstix as one of the displays (along with 8 seven segment displays)
as long as the boss approves it.

How warm do they get especially with all the leds on full ?
Do I need to worry about cooling them ?

http://remotelabs.eng.uts.edu.au
http://remotelabs.eng.uts.edu.au/expdemos.php demos you can use of a few of our experiments
By Scrambler
brainwav wrote:Hi, I don't use the same programmer as you do. Try plugging in the programming cable 180 degrees from what you have now and remember to have the power on the 8x8 matrix on while you are programming.

Denis.
I try:
and:
only with pin 5v
and not works :S
By brainwav
Have you tried it in groups of 8? Do you have 8? I bought 6 to make sure I was able to do what I needed. I eventually would like 2 rows of 10. The SPI rate of these is 125Khz for swome reason. I'll have to figure out how to increase this to 500 so that updating 20 of them won't take forever.

Denis.
By alxx
Get 4 Monday for me and once the boss approves the prototyparts get , get 8 for work.

What's the spi clock range for the atmega8?
I'll look it up when i get home later.
By alxx
If its a atmega328 its page 174 of the datasheet

fastest appears to be fosc/2 so a max of 10MHz but thats only for sclock

depending on spi wire/lead lengths/number and type of connectors probably won't get more than 500KHz at the best

Depending on what you running them from ,it might be easier and faster to
run them as two chains of 5, thats what I'd like to do
but probably will need the pins of the second spi for something else (all i/o on OMAP is multiplexed)

Been a few years since I've used Avr's.
Nice to not have an os getting in the way.
By brainwav
You can just use the same spi data and clock pins for all of the "chains", just use a different chip select (CS). Say you do 2 chains of 5, use 5vdc, ground, spi_clk, spi_data, chain1_cs and chain2_cs. One extra pin for every extra chain. Simple.