SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Your source for all things Atmel.
By sdisselhorst
I am trying to get this pulser program to be fast enough for me. I am really close using digitalWrite(4,HIGH) followed by digitalWrite(4,LOW). I can't quite get the syntax down for using PORTD commands to speed this up. I have tried PORTD = 00010000 followed by PORTD = 00000000. What is the correct way to put pin 4 high , then low using direct port manipulation? Thanks in advance.
By stevech
sdisselhorst wrote:I am trying to get this pulser program to be fast enough for me. I am really close using digitalWrite(4,HIGH) followed by digitalWrite(4,LOW). I can't quite get the syntax down for using PORTD commands to speed this up. I have tried PORTD = 00010000 followed by PORTD = 00000000. What is the correct way to put pin 4 high , then low using direct port manipulation? Thanks in advance.
Are we talking about standard C language? If so...
Code: Select all
PORTD = 0x10; // hex, equivalent to 00010000 in binary
PORTD = 0;
The ones above alter all 8 bits. To alter just one bit:
PORTD |= 0x10; // bitwise OR of that bit
PORTD &= ~0x10; // bitwise AND with inverted bits
Here's another commonly used syntax in C:
#define MyBitNo 4 // early in the code, then later...
PORTD |= (1<<MyBitNo); // bitwise OR of that bit
PORTD &= ~(1<<MyBitNo); // bitwise AND with inverted bits
Google for a primer in C
By sdisselhorst
I wanted to thank you for the guidance. This is working and solved my speed issue big time. I actually had to put a slight delay (7 microseconds) to slow it down a bit because it got too fast. So again, thanks!
By ruurdjan
Is there a reference of all port/register variables somewhere? I tried to find one, to no avail.

thanks,

RJ
By Liencouer
the datasheet? there is also the io.h file reference. iom168.h or something for the mega168 kind of thing.
By sdisselhorst
OK, now I need to pull pin 13 high and low quickly. I can't seem to find a way to figure out this coversion from bin to hex or whatever.
I know for pin 4 it was PORTD and 0x10. What the heck is it for pin 13? I can figure out it is PORTB, but what is the other part? What would be great is if thewre was a list that showed the hex addresses for all of the pins. Any volunteers to post this?

-Thanks
By n1ist
Since it is PB5, you can use
PORTB |= (1 << 5);
to set it (yes, it's the same as PORTB |= 0x20 but may be a bit easier to understand - it should compile to the same code).
PORTB &= ~(1<<5);
to clear it. Change the 5 to any number between 0 and 7 to affect bit 0 to 7 of the port. To set multiple bits, you can use
PORTB |= (1 << 5) | (1 << 6) | (1 << 7); 
for example.

/mike
By OrlandoArias
There's an avr-libc macro that does this for you.

The process of saying stuff like PORTB |= (1 << 5) is fine, however, avr-libc defines the _BV() macro for that. Your statement then becomes PORTB |= _BV(5). Reason why this is available is because it makes the code easier to read.

http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-man ... faq_use_bv