SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By dorabeans
Hello,

I've recently bought two Xbee Pro 900Mhz and the breakout board for it. I'm having some trouble getting it to communicate with the computer. I hooked it up to FTDI. But when I go to hyperterminal and type +++, I get no response. When I try X-CTU, it tells me unable to communicate with modem. I've tried both breakout boards and both Xbees. I've tried two different FTDI. I'm out of ideas. Anybody know what the problem might be, or something I can try? Thanks.

Edit: Also, the breakout board power led comes on, so I know the thing is getting power.
Did you first setup the PC's COM port on the PC settings tab of X-CTU and then click the Test/Query button?
If you don't get the XBee Modem type and firmware version returned then the Terminal interface won't work.
Does the FTDI show up in the Windows Hardware Manger when its plugged in?
Are the connects to/from the FTDI to the breakout correct?

Is the voltage on the XBee good? 3.3V
Which XBee modules, Series 1 or series 2? Which protocol, 802.15.4, ZB, ZNET, Digimesh?
Do you try other baud rates in X-CTU?
How about API mode?
By dorabeans
waltr wrote:Does the FTDI show up in the Windows Hardware Manger when its plugged in?
Are the connects to/from the FTDI to the breakout correct?

Is the voltage on the XBee good? 3.3V
Which XBee modules, Series 1 or series 2? Which protocol, 802.15.4, ZB, ZNET, Digimesh?
Do you try other baud rates in X-CTU?
How about API mode?
FTDI shows up as COM3.
Connections are correct
Voltage is good, regulated using Xbee Serial Regulated and I also tried the 3v output from the arduino, direct to the 3.3v power on xbee.

I don't know which protocol the Xbee is. I bought it off Sparkfun Xbee Pro 900 RPSMA.

I tried every baud rate.

I tried it with API mode like you said. It says:

Communicate with modem.. OK
Modem type = Name unknown (ID = BUNCHOFNUMBERS)
Modem firmware version =

Then two buttons for retry and ok.

I tried to read in Modem Configuration and it says:

Failed to enter command mode
Unable to read Version (ATVR)
Read parameters.. Failed.
By waltr
Modem firmware version =
This is what I get when the baud rate is correct but API is selected for an XBee running AT.

I also use Digi's XBIB USB and RS232 boards.
Sorry I can't help further. Maybe give Digi support a call.
By stevech
waltr wrote:
Modem firmware version =
recently, I had an XBee 900MHz board with these symptoms. Digi support and I worked with my official Digi development kit's XBee to RS232 board and tried to revive it. Support guy did the death certificate for that one.

EDIT: re the next post down... my comment, above, is N/A because above, I wasn't using the SFE board. It's been discussed many times that the SFE board's diode in the serial data path isn't correct for proper logic levels.
Last edited by stevech on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
By dorabeans
Hey guys,

I found a solution to the problem. It was previously answered on the forum:
Excalbian wrote:After opening a support ticket with Digi (they directed me to update the firmware which also didn't work), someone else (on an R/C UAV forum) suggested that a solution he's found is to short out the diode in front of Din. Sure enough, as soon as that was done, not only could I read and write the module from XCTU but it worked with the other module as a transceiver.
So I did just that, shorted out the diode in front of DIN on the Sparkfun Explorer Regulated (for some reason the placement of the diode was either improper or not necessary-most likely placed in the wrong direction).

It works!