SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on how to get your MSP JTAG programmer up and running.
By markatlnk
Can it run under linux, or is anybody working
on a driver for linux???? My laptop running
ubuntu does not have a par port.
By wiml
I am also curious about this. Is the protocol between the MSP-JTAG-TINY and the host documented? This looks like a nice product, but is it tied to Windows? (No parallel port on my netbsd box or my Mac, either...)
By OLIMEX
Hi,
unfortunately we can't offer linux suport at the moment
the protocol can't be opened as it's under NDA with TI
Tsvetan
By kavaler
I too would like a linux version.
By powool
I'm a FreeBSD laptop guy myself, and want to prototype at home on my couch.

I bought the USBMOD3 from www.hobbyengineering.com, which uses the FDTI chip, which is well supported with open drivers for Linux and FreeBSD, unlike the nice sounding CP2103 board, which has proprietary drivers.

The USBMOD3 with a little work should work fine with the BSL tools available at http://mspgcc.sourceforge.net.
By bobpaul
OLIMEX wrote:Hi,
unfortunately we can't offer linux suport at the moment
the protocol can't be opened as it's under NDA with TI
Tsvetan
The MSP GCC wiki has information about making the TI USB programmer function under linux using the Windows GDBProxy.

The way it works is the TI USB programmer is first made to display as a standard serial port under Linux. The TI programmer requires a firmware is loaded to it over the USB interface. This is proprietary and closed source. Once the firmware is located and stored where the linux kernel expects it, plugging in the TI USB programmer makes it show up as /dev/ttyUSB0

Now that the programmer is accessible, we can run GDBProxy and it's MSP430.dll using WINE. You already have replacement DLLs that work with MSPGCC's GDBProxy. All you need to do is make your MSP-JTAG-TINY show up as a serial port on linux, and WINE can handle the rest. There's a good chance this is possible without violating your NDA.

If it's not possible, you could distribute source code for a kernel module that contains a binary blob. The binary blob contains the parts that you aren't allowed to share and the rest is a wrapper that makes it work with the kernel. Users could 'make && make install' this on their systems and would need to re-install it everytime they update their kernel. This could not be included into the mainline kernel source in this form, but could be available from your website.

Anyway that you can make the programmer show up as a ttyUSB device would be greatly appreciated by your customers.