SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By rray
I bought the XBee Explorer USB, XBee Explorer Regulated, and 2 XBee 1mW Wire Antenna modules and installed X-CTU from 40002637_c.exe
I am using Fedora 11 and Wine
I created a link from /dev/ttyUSB0 -> com1
I run xctu and Test/Query and I get

Communication with modem..OK
Modem type = Name unknown (ID = 231859)
Modem firmware version = 10E6

I read a thread that said I needed to unplug the modem and reinsert it to do a reset
That does not help
If I go to Modem Configuration tab the only option under Modem dropdown is UNKNOWN
So I try Read and I get
The modem configuation file was not found
What else might I try

Richard
By stevech
rray wrote:I bought the XBee Explorer USB, XBee Explorer Regulated, and 2 XBee 1mW Wire Antenna modules and installed X-CTU from 40002637_c.exe
I am using Fedora 11 and Wine
I created a link from /dev/ttyUSB0 -> com1
I run xctu and Test/Query and I get

Communication with modem..OK
Modem type = Name unknown (ID = 231859)
Modem firmware version = 10E6

I read a thread that said I needed to unplug the modem and reinsert it to do a reset
That does not help
If I go to Modem Configuration tab the only option under Modem dropdown is UNKNOWN
So I try Read and I get
The modem configuation file was not found
What else might I try

Richard
From the above, it looks to me that
1) The PC with Linux/Wine and XCTU is successfully using the serial port to talk to the XBee (amazing, due to WINE).

2) The unknown type error is because XCTU cannot find the directory filled with firmware versions.These are in a standardized directory/folder in Windows. Either you have not yet downloaded all of these (XCTU will do so, if it can connect to the Interenet), or they aren't in the expected locaiton.
By rray
[quote="stevech"]
From the above, it looks to me that
1) The PC with Linux/Wine and XCTU is successfully using the serial port to talk to the XBee (amazing, due to WINE).

2) The unknown type error is because XCTU cannot find the directory filled with firmware versions.These are in a standardized directory/folder in Windows. Either you have not yet downloaded all of these (XCTU will do so, if it can connect to the Interenet), or they aren't in the expected locaiton.[/quote]

I know little to nothing about Microsoft products
I just did not know what to look for
Thanks
By rray
I have managed to get xctu working and successfully programmed the radios
I have one radio on a XBee Explorer USB and the other on on a Xbee Shield mounted on a Arduino Duemilanove board
I have previously programmed the AVR using a USB connection so I know that works
Now I am trying with the XBee Shield installed and the USB removed
The the Arduino will transit to the PC but I can not program the Arduino
I programmed the Xbees with 'ATID3330,DH0,DL1,MY0,BD6,WR,CN,' and 'ATID3330,DH0,DL0,MY1,BD6,WR,CN,'
Any more suggestions

Richard
By sylvie369
Are you trying to program the Arduino through the XBee? That's an important detail. It's quite different from simply getting two XBees to talk to each other.

Have you read the Sparkfun tutorial on wireless XBee programming of the Arduino? That's where I'd start.
By rray
> Are you trying to program the Arduino through the XBee?
yes

>Have you read the Sparkfun tutorial on wireless XBee programming of the Arduino?
I found a couple of articles about this but neither specificly used the XBee shield
Is there an article that deals with using the XBee Shield for programming
By sylvie369
I'm sorry - I remembered it wrong. It's not really about the Arduino, though there are some hints there. It's just for remote AVR programming:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutori ... als_id=122

Either way, I'd read carefully through that to see if it clears anything up.