SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By Regex
$9656 as of a few seconds ago.
By mikeyancey
KofS wrote:
TheHatter wrote:I don't know if its been mention before, but at this rate they will hit 11pm before they get through the 100,000
yeah so everyone should give up

right now

come on

ill be right behind you i promise
Wellll, I'm headed off to lunch in about 30 minutes, so you can have my slot...
By KofS
Regex wrote:$9656 as of a few seconds ago.
hooray a tenth of the way there in an hour, atleast we know we'll have plenty of time to try try try try try try try again
By kibble
At one point I hit refresh and started to walk off and then I turned back and saw the home page come up, so I ran back and tried to add item to cart and timed out.
By KofS
KofS wrote:
Regex wrote:$9656 as of a few seconds ago.
hooray a tenth of the way there in an hour, atleast we know we'll have plenty of time to try try try try try try try again
also i suppose this is not the worst case scenario for IT, as they have plenty of time to mitigate
By master_of_robots
SpinDrah wrote:
phalanx wrote:
I have it on good word that they did this just to piss you off.

-Bill
They didn't do it to piss anyone off, They did it as a publicity stunt and it work like a charm. :roll:
Obviously, you don't know who phalanx is... :lol:
By Drakkn
Hope you guys don't lose too much revenue from giving away 100k and having an entire day lost.
By CTID17
I am in my cart. For the the 8th-10th time. Hope it works this time. and it just crashed while i was typing.
By KofS
i agree w/ whoever mentioned amazon ec2 or other cloud computing. though i have to admit this is out of my experience (never did manage to make my site popular enough for that :) )
By Asimo
WOW.! it logged me out after I click the button under the "Hooray!" statement.

Maybe for my own psychological health I should stop trying.
By KofS
Drakkn wrote:Hope you guys don't lose too much revenue from giving away 100k and having an entire day lost.
remember: sparkfun does not buy their products for the same amount we end up paying
By kibble
I was on again! $12,087.99
By tlalexander
well, after an hour of refreshing, I'm headed to work. I can hit refresh there *and* get paid. Don't think the 10 min drive will lose me anything...
-Taylor
By master_of_robots
In defense of their IT department, I've worked as a developer in a PHP/MySQL/eCommerce scenario with undulating traffic patterns, and I can assure you that it is very hard to prepare for such an influx of customers.

Someone had mentioned using the EC2 cloud...which might have helped. But you can only throw so many server resources at a web application. PHP/MySQL can only handle so much before you have to start reconfiguring Apache.

Don't get mad at the IT department, their lives suck right now.
By KofS
tlalexander wrote:well, after an hour of refreshing, I'm headed to work. I can hit refresh there *and* get paid. Don't think the 10 min drive will lose me anything...
-Taylor
if only i had a netbook + 3g dongle i could keep refreshing the whole way there :D

only problem is i might drive off the road if my cart loaded