SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

General suggestions or questions about the SparkFun Electronics website
By KofS
well i cant say this is the best execution of a sale idea ive ever seen
By Laminar
KofS wrote:well i cant say this is the best execution of a sale idea ive ever seen
But it's a fantastic execution of a site capacity and load test.
By bmarvo
in all fairness... they didn't quite know what to expect. its not like they've done this before

be patient
By george graves
^it's not like ANYONE has done this before.
By Kilrah
TRON wrote:Also sites like slashdot have no problems running off of fewer than 10 servers with thousands of users because they implement a throttling policy of basically if you hammer the server cluster you get banned for an hour.
You do that for a site that runs normally 24/7 at a standard pace, yes. But NOT when you actually call thousands of users to actually hit you simultaneously on purpose. As a customer, I want to place an order, it's not my fault if they can't set up sufficient resources and I can't even get the page to load. So I will retry until it works. If they ban me from it, then it's unfair, everybody should get the same chances.

So, you DO set up the required resources, end of.
By KofS
bmarvo wrote:in all fairness... they didn't quite know what to expect. its not like they've done this before

be patient
in all fairness they should have known exactly what to expect when they offered this kind of sale, how could they imagine anything else?
By tristan
they know it can't handle DDoS now, much less the insane amount of legit traffic.
By abb51
bmarvo wrote:in all fairness... they didn't quite know what to expect. its
be patient
It's 3:15 AM... I wanna get back to sleep...

Ahh oh well, I tried. Congrats to all who make it, hope you use your freebies wisely :)
By Laminar
I just saw $1002.19

edit: then $1602.14
Last edited by Laminar on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Redbluefire
I'm trying myself... This is my first time with an account but I'm a longtime supporter of sites like Sparkfun, adafruit, and MAKE. I gotta give em major props for trying their best to do this. Hopefully once the kinks are worked out it'll act like a kind of creativity stimulus. :P
By Drakkn
Congrats to those getting through.

Managed to get to the shopping cart but checkout just times out. I have no clue how they're getting all the way through.
By RobotJay
*laughs at all the idiots who wasted time writing scripts to auto order their stuff*
By Asimo
$1602 so far
By kibble
I'M ON I'M ON I'M ON I'M ON I'M ON I'M ON I'M ON I'M ON !!!!!

................................AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND..... it died...... :(
By computerguy09
RobotJay wrote:*laughs at all the idiots who wasted time writing scripts to auto order their stuff*
It's probably all those scripts that are bogging things down!