SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Open source ARM Debugger
By Freddie Chopin
On my webpage ( www.freddiechopin.info ) in Download -> Software -> OpenOCD you can find OpenOCD 0.2.0 compiled for Windows in a convenient form of msi installer (Microsoft Installer).

Due to alleged GPLv2 license incompatibility of using ftd2xx.dll libraries, this version was compiled to use libftdi + libusb-win32 libraries. Details: #1, #2. That's why the previous version (0.1.0) was removed from my website.

It is recommended to uninstall the previous versions before proceeding with 0.2.0.
By async
I tried to use your Windows compiled version of OpenOCD. I'm using an Olimex Parallel Port Wiggler tool (ARM-JTAG) and LPC2129.

I'm getting these errors when I run OpenOCD. Any thoughts on how to fix these errors? Thanks.
Code: Select all
C:\Program Files\OpenOCD\0.2.0\bin>openocd -fparport.cfg -flpc2129.cfg
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.2.0 (2009-07-18-09:50) Release
$URL: http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/tags/openocd-0.2.0/src/openocd
.c $
For bug reports, read http://svn.berlios.de/svnroot/repos/openocd/trunk/BUGS
parport port = 888
jtag_speed: 0
jtag_nsrst_delay: 100
jtag_ntrst_delay: 100
Error: Translation from khz to jtag_speed not implemented
Info : JTAG tap: lpc2129.cpu tap/device found: 0x4f1f0f0f (mfg: 0x787, part: 0xf
1f0, ver: 0x4)
Error: JTAG tap: lpc2129.cpu              got: 0x4f1f0f0f (mfg: 0x787, part: 0xf
Error: JTAG tap: lpc2129.cpu  expected 1 of 1: 0xffffffff (mfg: 0x7ff, part: 0xf
fff, ver: 0xf)
Error: trying to validate configured JTAG chain anyway...
By dougm84
Yeah, I've had similar troubles using the installer with a Olimex ARM-USB-OCD; something about 'commands.c' not finding the target.
By megamen898
I download the .msi on the website www.freddiechopin.info . I use a at91sam7x with amontec jtagkey on eclipse + yagarto and windows XP. I used openocd 0.1.0 and my .cfg file work, but with the new openocd the .cfg that are in the openocd (-f \interface\jtagkey-tiny.cfg -f \target\sam7x256.cfg) don't work. I have alway this error :

Error: unable to open ftdi device: device not found
Runtime error, file "command.c", line 469:

can someone know why this work on 0.1.0 and not with 0.2.0
By Freddie Chopin
async wrote:I'm getting these errors when I run OpenOCD. Any thoughts on how to fix these errors? Thanks.
C:\Program Files\OpenOCD\0.2.0\bin>openocd -fparport.cfg -flpc2129.cfg
[...]
Info : JTAG tap: lpc2129.cpu tap/device found: 0x4f1f0f0f (mfg: 0x787, part: 0xf
Error: JTAG tap: lpc2129.cpu              got: 0x4f1f0f0f (mfg: 0x787, part: 0xf
Error: JTAG tap: lpc2129.cpu  expected 1 of 1: 0xffffffff (mfg: 0x7ff, part: 0xf
In file lpc2129.cfg find the line:
set _CPUTAPID 0xffffffff
and replace it with:
set _CPUTAPID 0x4f1f0f0f

You can also try lowering the speed (increasing the jtag_speed value) if the hint above isn't enough.
megamen898 wrote:I download the .msi on the website www.freddiechopin.info . I use a at91sam7x with amontec jtagkey on eclipse + yagarto and windows XP. I used openocd 0.1.0 and my .cfg file work, but with the new openocd the .cfg that are in the openocd (-f \interface\jtagkey-tiny.cfg -f \target\sam7x256.cfg) don't work. I have alway this error :

Error: unable to open ftdi device: device not found
Runtime error, file "command.c", line 469:

can someone know why this work on 0.1.0 and not with 0.2.0
0.1.0 most probably used ftd2xx.dll which now is not allowed. That's why you need to uninstall the drivers from FTDI and install libusb drivers from /install_dir/drivers/ft2232.zip

4\/3!!
By megamen898
Do I just need to uninstall openocd 0.1.0 to uninstall ftd2xx.dll. After that do I just need to install openocd 0.2.0 to install the "libusb drivers from /install_dir/drivers/ft2232.zip " if not what do I need to do?

because I uininstall openocd 0.1.0 and install openocp 0.2.0 and I have the same problem.

thank
By Freddie Chopin
OpenOCD has nothing to do with drivers, uninstalling any version won't change anything.

Plugin your JTAG, go to hardware manager and find your JTAG there (usually somewhere around "USB devices") - right click on it and select uninstall. When your JTAG has only JTAG port, you can uninstall all drivers - probably there would be 3 or 4 devices associated with it. When your JTAG has JTAG and RS-232/UART, don't uninstall the COM port driver (in COM ports) with the USB device that operates that port. After all that operations, un-plug the dongle, wait for 10 seconds and plug-in again. Then you will be prompted for drivers - select manual mode because when you'll let Windows search for the drivers it will catch FTDI drivers again. In "full manual advanced mode" you can point to the directory and only the drivers from there would be taken into account. Do not let windows search for the drivers automatically - you need to select manual mode TWICE.

The drivers that are supplied with my OpenOCD package have entries only for Turtelizer and JTAGkey - you can add more dongles yourself. Take a look inside the inf file and you will find out how to do that - that's very easy, you just need to know the VID and PID of your JTAG.

4\/3!!
By megamen898
thank for your help now openocd work!!.

They are two thing that I don't like is the speed of the jtag, with the 0.1.0 the download of my program take 20sec, but with 0.2.0 it take 75sec and I uses the same config file.

Second when I do this:
init
soft_reset_halt
#set the register to boot from the flash
at91sam7 gpnvm 2 set
flash write_image erase C:/0Data/AxesNetwork/0Firm/ARM7/FreeRTOSV5.2.0/Demo/ARM7_AT91SAM7X256_Eclipse/RTOSDemo/RTOSDemo.bin 0x00100000 bin
verify_image C:/0Data/AxesNetwork/0Firm/ARM7/FreeRTOSV5.2.0/Demo/ARM7_AT91SAM7X256_Eclipse/RTOSDemo/RTOSDemo.bin 0x00100000 bin
reset run
shutdown

the reset run command execute the program stop and rexecute the program. I don't understand why on the 0.1.0 the program was execute just one time.
By Freddie Chopin
The speed of libftdi is lower than ftd2xx.dll, but... some people say it is not allowed to distribute the binary with ftd2xx.dll support...

You can try to build your own copy of OpenOCD which would use ftd2xx.dll - that's the only solution to this "problem" for "normal" user. Of course some say, that you may fix libftdi to work as fast as ftd2xx.dll... True, if you're a highly trained profesional with strong knowledge of USB and FT2232 protocols...

4\/3!!
By megamen898
thank freddie for your answer it rely help me! :D
By Freddie Chopin
OpenOCD installer of version 0.2.0 which was available on my webpage ( www.freddiechopin.info ) in the Download section was replaced with version 0.2.0-SR1, which stands for service release 1. The most important component of the installer - executable file openocd.exe was not modified, it is still basic 0.2.0 version. Changes were made only to the included libusb-win32 drivers for FT2232 based JTAGs. Currently the driver has entries for most of existing JTAGs based on that chip. Additionally a text file info.txt is included in the drivers archive - it describes the details of libusb-win32 driver usage with FT2232 based JTAGs. The change was motivated by problems that users were experiencing with these drivers.

Reinstallation is recommended to those who own a JTAG using FT2232 and were not able to get past the drivers installation process.
By bobcousins
Thanks for that, makes things much easier.

I found a problem with the descriptions for Olimex ARM-USB-TINY devices which prevents the driver installing

the lines:
"Olimex ARM-USB-TINY (Channel A)"=LIBUSB_DEV, USB\VID_15ba&PID_0x0004&MI_00
"Olimex ARM-USB-TINY (Channel B)"=LIBUSB_DEV, USB\VID_15ba&PID_0x0004&MI_01
Should not have "0x" after "PID_"

After making that change, the drivers were found and installed OK.

Cheers
By wxzzzh
I downloaded your program and it runs well, thanks!
By Freddie Chopin
bobcousins wrote:I found a problem with the descriptions for Olimex ARM-USB-TINY devices which prevents the driver installing

the lines:
Should not have "0x" after "PID_"
Thx for feedback, I fixed that for future releases

4\/3!!
By rishi
Hi Freddie
I read on another forum that openocd-0.3.0 for libftdi installer is available for download on www.freddiechopin.info. But could not find it. Was it taken down due to some issues?
Thanks