SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By BloodWorm
Hi, I just want to know if Ultrasonic Range Finder - Maxbotix LV-EZX will affect my dog and cat. I red that dogs and cat can hear up to 50-60 kHz and Ultrasonic Range Finder is emitting at 42 kHz. Can someone provide feedback on their experience with it ?
Thank You
By leon_heller
I was playing with a 40 kHz ultrasonic transmitter and receiver some years ago, and my cat took a lot of interest in the transmitter. It didn't bother him, though. Something he didn't like was some fractal 'music' I generated, he howled when that was on.

Leon
By Blackfin
I've got a couple of Canon point-n-shoot cameras with ultrasonic lens and focus motors and one of my three cats was definitely alarmed when either was turned on. It didn't really seem to bother the other two.

After a while the cameras didn't bother her as much. Either she either got used to the sound or she's deaf to those frequencies now.

I'd be careful with URFs around pets as they can emit a fairly strong pulse. Then again, the pulse may also be directional depending on the transmitter. Try not to aim the thing at the animals.
By riden
Blackfin wrote:After a while the cameras didn't bother her as much. Either she either got used to the sound or she's deaf to those frequencies now.
I once built an ultrasonic cat impeller to keep our cat off the bed and it worked like a charm, for a while. I used a PIR detector, which tripped off a short burst of random frequency ultrasonic sound for a few seconds. What I failed to take into account was that the fact learned that he could jump on the bed, be subjected to a brief annoyance, and then lay down and go to sleep. Within a week, it didn't bother him at all. He didn't go deaf because I would occasionally see him raise in head and look towards the bedroom, with what I am convinced was a grin, when someone would trip the alarm on the bed. :)