SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Discussions on the software and hardware for Atmel's STK standard.
By md10bldr
Hello -

Just got my Arduino Pro Mini 5V 16Mhz set up, went to the Arduino -0012 IDE to select it under the "Tools / Boards" menu, and only found a selection for 8mhz. I went ahead and used the 8mhz selection, and ran the basic Blink sketch successfully.

So my question is, is there a forthcoming Arduino revision to add a 16 mhz selection, or do I just need to calculate any delays or internal clock related commands to be 1/2 of what would be used for 8mhz? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks
Paul Garcia
By rsbohn
This is a 5V Arduino running the 16MHz bootloader (select 'Arduino Diecimila' within the Arduino software).

The boards menu is populated from hardware\boards.txt.
The board speed is set there (f_cpu).
By fenichel
I am having the same problem as md10bldr. I looked into hardware\boards.txt, and I created a new entry as follows
pro16.name=Arduino Pro (16 MHz)?

pro16.upload.protocol=stk500
pro16.upload.maximum_size=14336
pro16.upload.speed=19200

pro16.bootloader.low_fuses=0xc6
pro16.bootloader.high_fuses=0xdd
pro16.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x00
pro16.bootloader.path=atmega
pro16.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_pro_16MHz.hex
pro16.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
pro16.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

pro16.build.mcu=atmega168
pro16.build.f_cpu=16000000L
pro16.build.core=arduino
This was taken from the 'Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (8 MHz)' entry, changing only the name, bootloader.file, and build.f_cpu entries. The new option is selectable on the Tools/Board menu, but it does no better than any other when I try to download to the Arduino:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
By fenichel
I am using Arduino-0015 under WinXP.
By fenichel
I am still trying to figure this out. When powered up, and whenever the reset button is not held down (including when Arduino.exe thinks it's downloading to the board), the pin-13 LED loops through a pattern with a 3.34-second period. The pattern is a 21-beat pulse train consisting of one long high (1000 ms) and 20 short highs (18-28 ms), separated by lows in a declining sequence: 530 ms, 300 ms, 200 ms, 176 ms, and so on down to 15 ms or so. Does this sound like what one should expect from the baseline contents of the program memory?
By TS-Tim
Hi fenichel,
What you are describing is actually a very precise break down of the blink example program. This is loaded on all Arduino's and shows that your board is working properly out of the box.
http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink

I hope this helps.
By fenichel
I had recently learned that what I observed was the appropriate behavior for the pre-installed program, but notice that it is not the same as the Blink sketch. The Blink sketch gives a simple 50%-duty-cycle 0.5 Hz square wave, not the repeating 3.34-s pulse train of the pre-installed program.
By fenichel
My problem is solved :D It was just a port-selection error, and I feel stupid :? Back to work.
By TS-Tim
Hi,
I am aware that it is not the exact sketch. Just sharing an example sketch.