SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By TheDirty
I know some people on here use these. I am currently playing with the module, but I have some chips and mag jacks here and want to create my own project boards.

I've googled for them and can't find anything.

Also, I'd like to know if the INT pin works on SPI mode. So far I've just been polling, and I've read that it doesn't work with SPI, but there's nothing official that says it doesn't work.
By cirutech
you can use the arduino ethernet shield as a reference:

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield

they use the WIZ5100 and the files are in Eagle format.
Last edited by cirutech on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
By TheDirty
Thanks, but there's no library there, just the schematic and board files. I can open those up, but I can't copy the W5100 part to another schematic or library.
By cirutech
I think you have 2 ways to do this:

1) open the arduino shield schematic, group the WIZ5100 chip, cut it. Now open YOUR schematic and choose paste. Both symbol and footprint will be placed on your sch and brd files (if you have both open of course)
2) use the exp-project-lbr.ulp (from cadsoft website) which allows you to "Create library or libraries from schematic/board " . Once done, use it as a normal library.

Hope this helps

C
By FartingMonkey92
Just to expand on cirutech's "option 2", with the Arduino Ethernet shield files:

1) Copy the chip in the schematic editor, enable all layers and delete everything else except the copied chip
2) In the layout editor, enable all layers and delete everything else except the copied chip
3) Run exp-project-lbr.ulp, in your ulp folder, from the schematic editor
4) Select One library, click Collect data and select yes
5) Look where it's going to save the Library and click Create library
6) If you've done it right, it should open the Library in the device view

Just for anyone viewing this thread and wondering how to use the exp-project-lbr.ulp...
Thanks go to cirutech. :wink:
By TheDirty
Thanks, you two. That worked and I have it exported to my own library.
By ds18s20
You guys seem to use W5300 so I was curious - what is inside W5300? Is this a real ASIC or some kind of PIC that has been programmed with their firmware and then re-labelled as W5300?

~B
By TheDirty
I'm assuming it's an actual ASIC as the I/O is pretty specialized, but it might just be a uC that I don't know about. I'm no expert in these things.

You can probably do the same thing with a uC now though as there are a few lately that come with MAC/PHY built in. I've been thinking of trying out the Luminary Micro 8xxx or 6xxx series out with uIP or lwIP.