SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By lucky
Just wanted to let you guys know about my MPic3 player project.

It is based around a PIC18F452 and runs full FAT16 reading from a Compact Flash card.

I have just got back into the project after a long break and the Sparky guys are doing my first PCB for it.

If you guys want to take a look goto www.mpic3.com
By Enigma
Hey there,

I'm also doing an MP3 player project, for my girlfriend.

It's going to be compact-flash storage based, with USB mass-storage connection support. I just ordered a buncha muncha cruncha parts from Spark Fun, and I have a PCB design I've been working on. It'll also double as a USB-to-ATA adapter (I'm going to have a full row of header pins, so I can plug in a drive if I want to, for larger, cheaper storage).

The USB chip is by far the hardest part. It's from TI, it's the USB6250 I believe. It's a surface mount with .5 mm pin pitch. Hopefully I can get that all working. I'm thinking of making just a surface-mount-to-protoboard adapter for the part, so I can fool with it before I make something permanent.

I'm trying to decide on which mp3 decoder chip to go with, probably whatever one has a builtin DAC and headphone amplifier that I can find. Anybody know any good sources for these? I found some from Atmel, but they're BGA.

Also, anybody know where I can find some cool looking small project enclosures with clear windows in them? I found some a while back, but can't remember where.

-Jesse
By Great Zanzibar!
Enigma wrote:Hey there,

I'm also doing an MP3 player project, for my girlfriend.

It's going to be compact-flash storage based, with USB mass-storage connection support. I just ordered a buncha muncha cruncha parts from Spark Fun, and I have a PCB design I've been working on. It'll also double as a USB-to-ATA adapter (I'm going to have a full row of header pins, so I can plug in a drive if I want to, for larger, cheaper storage).

The USB chip is by far the hardest part. It's from TI, it's the USB6250 I believe. It's a surface mount with .5 mm pin pitch. Hopefully I can get that all working. I'm thinking of making just a surface-mount-to-protoboard adapter for the part, so I can fool with it before I make something permanent.

I'm trying to decide on which mp3 decoder chip to go with, probably whatever one has a builtin DAC and headphone amplifier that I can find. Anybody know any good sources for these? I found some from Atmel, but they're BGA.

Also, anybody know where I can find some cool looking small project enclosures with clear windows in them? I found some a while back, but can't remember where.

-Jesse
I almost used that USB6250 IC before, but the pin spacing scared me away. I've still got a sample of it, maybe I will use it in a future project.

For the MP3 decoder, try the VS*** series from VLSI Solution Oy, http://www.vlsi.fi. You can buy samples from them direct (wire transfer payment only) or from http://www.jelu.se in Sweden for a decent price (and good service and payment options - plus they've got a ton of MP3 player components).

For the enclosure, try Hammond Manufacturing (http://www.hammondmfg.com). They made clear & coloured clear plastic enclosures.