SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

All things pertaining to wireless and RF links
By cap9qd
I was sniffing around the Nordic Semi website the other day after getting my Sparkfun nRF24L01+SMA breakout. I saw that they make the nRF24LE1, an SoC transiever that includes an 8051 core (7IO 24QFN, 15IO 32QFN & 31IO 48QFN packages). This seems very very very cool! It seem to use a very similar PCB layout (well...plus IO for MCU) as their other nRF24* chips. It would be really cool if you guys could (idealy) make a breakout, that is similar to the nRF24L01+SMA breakout, which includes access to the 8051 IO...or at least stock the ICs (since I cant seem to find anyone that stocks them).

Second thing...anyone out in Sparkfun land used this chip? I was just wondering experiences people have had with this chip.
By cap9qd
I would be very interested in how that turns out!
I have a couple of Qs:

What software do you plan to use for coding? (I see there is Kiel support...but I have seen SDCC used for some of Nordic's older 8051 MCU chips)

Did you use Nordic's reference PCB design for the basis of yours?

Can you post pics when you get done?!
By theatrus
I've built a development board around it. The antenna and critical RF section is copied verbatim from Nordic (don't mess with it unless you REALLY know what you're doing).

Also added a SPI flash chip to reprogram the LE1 without a JTAG. Used SDCC as the compiler which worked reasonably well.
cap9qd wrote:I would be very interested in how that turns out!
I have a couple of Qs:

What software do you plan to use for coding? (I see there is Kiel support...but I have seen SDCC used for some of Nordic's older 8051 MCU chips)

Did you use Nordic's reference PCB design for the basis of yours?

Can you post pics when you get done?!
By brennen
I personally use SDCC and I have written a good amount of code for peripheral support. I have a serial bootloader that I wrote in assembler (uC-side) and C# (PC-side) to load the code. I did indeed use the reference design for my chips, but I also added a voltage regulator and a reset switch onto the PCB.

I spoke to a Nordic engineer over email today and he said they had some issues in their silicon that will be fixed on chips delivered around January. Chances are I'll wait until then to fab up boards. In the interim, I'll be focused on building the 24LU1 boards, but it should be pretty well code compatible with the 24LE1 so that migration would be simple. AFAIK, on a chip-level, the lowest-end 24LE1 costs about the same as the 24LU1.
By cap9qd
brennen...I was looking around and found your site just a couple of minute ago (missed it in your signature some how...). Thats really cool. I may have to wait around and pickup the LE1 board when you get done with it. I am half temped to grab the last stamp with the SMA connector...as I already have three of the Sparkfun boards with the nRF24L01. Then I could start working on my project.
By brennen
Thanks! I will be getting some more online soon in case you decided to pull the trigger but wanted more than one. The 24L01 and the 24LU1 have identical radios, though, so you would really only need one 24LU1 to experiment with if you wanted to get a head start on the 24LE1 work. I even use the same C code to control the radio in the 24LU1 as I did controlling the 24L01 (with additional interface code, of course, as you have to communicate to the on-board RF unit over on-board SPI).
By cap9qd
I received my stamp a couple of days ago...but with so much going on at school (end of semester.....) I havnt even gotten a chance to power the thing up. I have, however, been reading through your tutorials! They are really good! I am fairly experienced with C18 and PIC micros so it was just what I was looking for in getting my 24L01 boards running. Thanks!
By Symmetry TME
There is a company called RF Digital that has made some modules/eval boards specifically for this chipset.

They even have one that plugs directly into Nordic's nRFGO kit.

Link is here: http://www.semiconductorstore.com/cart/ ... duct=42951

I am an apps engineer specializing in wireless technology, and I was really impressed with these modules when they were released.

If you have any questions, PM me and I would be glad to help.

Good luck!
-Brian
By Steel
Does anyone have a programmer setup for the 24LE1?

I implemented it into a product design. I have an Aardvark SPI Host interface and Flash Center software, however I am not able to get it to talk to the LE1. when I read back the flash memory, it looks like a lot of garbage. (See attached).

I am trying to figure out what setup environment other people use for programming the chips in-circuit.

I talked to Nordic, and they don't seem to have programmed in-circuit, or don't have a programmer/software that they use. Everything they use is based around programming the development kit.

The chip is in circuit, with the SPI Slave lines exposed, along with reset and program. I am just trying to figure out what programming hardware/software I should use to go with it.

thanks
Shaun
By brennen
In case anybody is still interested, I have development boards for the 32-pin variant of the nRF24LE1 on my website (nRF24LE1 board with chip antenna and nRF24LE1 board with RP-SMA connector). These boards come pre-loaded with a bootloader that requires only a connection to a PC serial port (TX, RX, and RTS). I do have a hardware programmer that I've layed out (based on the FT-232RL), but I haven't had it pressed yet.
By jasongao
Brennen, your nRF24LE1 breakout board looks very interesting, but the diyembedded store isn't working for me. Any news on when I might be able to order?
By NeuralEngin33r
Thanks for your tutorials on Nordic chips Brennen. I wish your store was still up!