SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By orbital_fox
Greeting sparkfun forum.

I am looking for a low budget, small factor solution to convert ethernet TCP packets to GPIO (general purpose outputs). Basically i want the TCP packet to break from serial to a parallel output that i can read with other circuitry.

Any recommendations?

Regards
Fox
By theatrus
The LanTronix XPort modules are a great way to go. We use them in two designs at work.

It helps to be able to make your own PCB, as the pin through-hole headers are small pitch and won't go through your standard protoboard. I don't remember if the MatchPort had such small pin headers, but it comes in 802.11b/g :).

- Yann
By orbital_fox
Lantronix looks good yeah, i have to research more into them though, cause im looking about something very specific.

I need a system that takes in TCP packets from ethernet and spits out raw data on GPIO pins, or anything near that.
By wiml
Does it need to talk TCP? If you can use UDP it gets a lot simpler.
By orbital_fox
Good call, UDP would be fine as well.
By orbital_fox
Ive looked into the Lantronix ones. They look like the will still need addition development work to get them to the point were we want. But this is work that we would like to avoid if possible.

Basically i need a system that i can send UDP or TCP packets, and it will unfold them and spit out the data in GPIO pins in a parallel matter. We need this so that we can connect them up straight into logic, without the need of something intermediate between comms and logic.

I hope im getting through right, i knew it would take several posts from me to get this through right :P.

If nothing like that exists my team can develop it.
By orbital_fox
Extremely cool solution. Spot on with not extra costs. Ill make sure it works perfectly with what we intent to use it.

Thank you very much
By ds18s20
HP Jet Direct EX3 Plus from eBay. It has 3 ports, 8 bits each, total IP controllable outputs 8*3 = 24. Total cost $10

Opto22 PCB11 board from eBay.

Drivers? NetCat nc doesnt need any drivers, it is a utility to write to IP port. Wirting to ports is nothing like writing to lpt ports. You basically open TCP connection, send data, then close. Here is an example how to set all outputs to "1"
Code: Select all

printf "\xFF" | nc 192.168.1.100 9100 

This sends FF to 192.168.1.100 on TCP port 9100 which cases all 8 outputs of the Jet DIrect to go high... 

Popular Opto22 boards from eBay can be interfaced directly to the Jet Direct Plus card

Image[/code]

Here is the complete solution using HP Jet Direct EX3 Plus. Only one port is used to interface with the Opto22 board:

Rhys also took the idea and developed a more friendly looking interface box with outlets sticking out and all. His apps is focused on the black Optos which are 110V AC controls contrasted to my 12V red Optos... Same thing, different applications

http://rhysgoodwin.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... trol-hack/
By orbital_fox
This is brilliant! Perfect price and operation. I wont be using it for high voltage stuff, but i know how to modify the boards.

Thanks a million, this saved me a lot of search time, taken from precious research.

Regards.
By ds18s20
orbital_fox wrote:This is brilliant! Perfect price and operation. I wont be using it for high voltage stuff, but i know how to modify the boards.
Thanks a million, this saved me a lot of search time, taken from precious research.
It made a good college project:

ISYS Industrial Automation Project Image