SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By nall
Hi all.
I often have trouble when I try and customize proect boxes (by customize, i mean making holes for various components). I currently use a Dremel tool, but find I don't have good control over the size/shape of the final hole. My holes are usable, but are often bigger than they need be, and rather jagged around the edges.

Does anyone have any good techniques for putting holes in project boxes? A favorite Dremel bit? Do I just need to practice more?

Thanks for any input.
By Pete-O
Personally, I love my drill press. I'll find reasons to put holes in things just to use it. But then, that's only good for round holes. If you need a square or rectangular hole, you can drill 4 holes for the corners and then cut straight lines with a cutoff wheel and a dremel. I could go on... :oops:

Pete
By sparky
Steve the PCB guru mentioned he had customers that had custom PCBs manufactured with black solder masks and funky colored silk screens. Most fab houses can do any kind of inner cut out for knobs and connectors and lights. Sounds like a cheaper way of doing things than a custom CNC gig.

-Nathan