SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have questions about a SparkFun product or board? This is the place to be.
By denisbest
Hi Everybody,

I am working on my version of IR remote and at the final stage of development now. I record IR signal from original remote and in my remote I send it out if buttons/hand gestures were activated. However, I see that IR signal that I send from my microcontroller is not recognized by appliance, in my case it's Sony Cassette player.

Timing is slightly off but should be within error limits, frequency is 38-41 kHz, output power on my IR LED is little low but acceptable i think.

Ok, so I captured signal from my LED and Sony's remote LED and here are they, attached:

Sony's:

Mine:

What would you think prevents the signal from my LED to be recognized by the player?
By Philba
can't see the images - I get an error... (and, as you probably know, they aren't linked in the first place) Facebook is probably not the best pace to host them.

Just a guess but many (?most?) remotes repeat a given command several times. are you doing that?
By jasonharper
Your scope traces show only the IR carrier, which appears close enough to work. You'd need to zoom out a few steps to see the on/off modulation of the carrier, which is probably where the problem actually lies.
By denisbest
Thank you for your responses

- I'll rehost images once I come home
- I do not repeat the signal, I've read that Sony sends only one signal at a time (is that true)? I try to repeat it and see what happens.
- jasonharper, I made sure signal has close enough timing and my osciloscope shows that frequency is correct.

Can someone else please give any ideas why receiver doesn't recognize the signal from my LED?
By denisbest
Update: with the help of oscilloscope I found that Sony's remote sends multiple codes with a single press of a button, thanks Philba!!!

I will update my code to capture a minute worth of data and send it to receiver - will see if it's going to work!

Thank you guys for valuable input.