SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Have a good idea for a new product for SFE or Olimex? Let us know!
By cmetom
i'm interested in a breakout board for the GE863.
is there any possibility of a solderless spring-type contact setup so that the module & breakout board could be reused?
By NukWaste
I am in favor of a Breakout Board for the GE863. Would also love it if something could be done to help with the funky BGA issue.
By maokh
cmetom wrote:i'm interested in a breakout board for the GE863.
is there any possibility of a solderless spring-type contact setup so that the module & breakout board could be reused?
interesting idea ... much like some of the surface mount socket clamshells.

i suspect the cost of development/production in such low volumes would make it more expensive than the cost of the module.
By cmetom
maokh wrote: interesting idea ... much like some of the surface mount socket clamshells.

i suspect the cost of development/production in such low volumes would make it more expensive than the cost of the module.
regarding the cost problem, it's unfortunately true.

i was crazily thinking of these when i first looked into it.
the other day i realised that really what would be ideal would be as you've suggested, like the springy contacts on a SIM card holder. i thought they could be DIY made with bent paperclips or semi-heavy-gauge wire..

either way, a breakout board for the GE863 would be great. or a tutorial for reflow soldering it successfully (i feel like i'm trying to slave-drive the sparkfun crew!) :)
By nanogear
Yes, a tutorial for reflow soldering for that type of components would be great and very appreciated for customers like me.
By cmetom
I notice now that Telit have updated their product line. The GC864 models are much smaller than the GM862 but have the same benefit of a connector which the GE863 does not have.

Also they now have the UC864 which is Quadband GSM and Triband UTMS/HSDPA *drooool* :shock: :D
By PaulM
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but... If sparkfun is not planning on producing this item, would it be possible to publish the schematic so that the rest of us might benefit from the work that you did do?
By corvette123
why not the 864??

looks more like a BGA than he 863 hahaha..
By lucasvickers
I have a strong interest in a breakout board.

I want to purchase this unit to test it out, but I do not have the capability to solder it myself.
By Oldrich
I have jut finished a prototype of GE863-QUAD breakout board. It is prepared for usage with an Arduino compatible board.

The main features are:
- The PCB designed for 100% full hand assembling of GE863
- Easy switching between serial communication PC-GE863 or Arduino-GE863
- Electret microphone on the PCB
- 1W Fully-Differential Audio Amplifier
- DTMF receiver for easy controlling of something using any phone
- Back up capacitor for alarm features (GSM module can reset Arduino board)
- Electrodynamic buzzer
- Embedded PCB Antenna and MMCX connector
- 2A LDO power supply for GSM module
- GSM module can be supplied either from USB or adaptor (it will chose automatically)
- SIM holder

I would like to solve following features in the finall version:
- Battery, charger support
- Add some inputs and outputs (directly from GSM module)
- I will probably skip PCB antenna (quite large) and use a right angle SMA connector (very common)

Does anybody have any inputs what to include to the finall version also?

[/img]
By kyle.quamme
I would be interested in one of these boards in an Arduino shield form.
By basic4ever
Is it compatible with GE863-PRO3 (LINUX EMBEDDED) ?
By Oldrich
It is not compatible with GE863-PRO3.