SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Questions relating to designing PCBs
By Daniel Wee
I've noticed that every time I re-open a board, the Grid defaults back to 1mm or so, when I saved the project in 0.025 inches. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? How do I set the default grid? Thanks.

Daniel
By bigglez
Daniel Wee wrote:I've noticed that every time I re-open a board, the Grid defaults back to 1mm or so, when I saved the project in 0.025 inches. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? How do I set the default grid? Thanks.
Greetings Daniel,

You need to locate a file called EAGLE.scr (most likely in the
SCR sub-dir, EAGLE.EXE launches from the BIN sub-dir).

Quoting from the Cadsoft FAQ:

eagle.scr
This file can be used to define basic settings that shall be valid for a newly created Schematic, Board, or Library file. eagle.scr will be read each time you create a new file or open a file by the File/Open menu. It won't be read if a file (editor window) opens automatically by an active EAGLE project file, for example, while starting EAGLE.
eagle.scr offers separate sections for the specific editor windows. After the keyword BRD: follows everything that shall be executed in the Layout editor, SCH: stands for the Schematic editor, LBR: for the Library editor in general, DEV:, SYM:, and PAC: for Device, Symbol, and Package editor. Settings for all editor windows (for example, a common background colour) can be made in the very beginning of the file, which means before BRD:.
What is defined in eagle.scr usually?
Pre-definition of the grid, contents of the drill, width, size, diameter menu (SET command), any other option of the SET command, for example, used layers, colours and so on. In principle everything that can be done also in the Options/Set menu in one of the Editor windows (see also HELP SET).

Comments Welcome!
By Philba
you definitely want to get to know the scr file. Especially if you switch between imperial and metric. Eagle seems to like metric and if you switch from metric to imperial, the drill defaults are direct conversions of metric and don't directly map onto standard sizes. I would always get DRC errors on vias. annoying.