SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By ohararp
njansen,

Really, the chipset and antenna on both the EM406 adn EM408 are really pretty good. I think the geochron uses an RM408 and this has a connector (MCX I think) for an external antenna. I think you will find that in most cases the external antenna is not needed. What is you reason for the external antenna?
By njansen
ohararp wrote:Really, the chipset and antenna on both the EM406 adn EM408 are really pretty good. I think the geochron uses an RM408 and this has a connector (MCX I think) for an external antenna. I think you will find that in most cases the external antenna is not needed. What is you reason for the external antenna?
My mistake, I bought the GPS logger v2.4 (EM406) and thought the Geochron used the same...

I'm mounting my GPS logger on an RC helicopter. As you can imagine with spinning carbon fiber blades and all the metal, plus electrical interference from the radio link, placement of the antenna is pretty important. I want to mount the logger and receiver somewhere safe, and then put an antenna somewhere that gives the best reception (that's what the data logger is for :) ).. probably the tail boom.

I wish the GeoChron's were in stock, that would have made it a lot easier.