SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By Andrew02E
Does anyone know of any good satellite imagery programs? To be a little more specific, I'm trying to find something similar to Google Maps that can be embedded into software. A birds-eye view of the local area (if available) is critical. I've looked (briefly) at the Google Maps API and similar, but I don't have the time to learn XML and all that.

Ideally, I'd have something I could embed in a Visual Basic/C++ project, get a birds-eye view of the local area, and draw the position of beacons nearby. Internet access may not (will probably not) be available, so having the data stored on a local hard drive would be a big plus.
And it needs to be able to wash cars and mix drinks too.

So if someone could point me in the right direction to find that (or similar), or could give me a good resource to do something like that using Google Maps without boat loads of XML, that'd be great.
By mtbbiker
Have a look at SharpMap (There used to be a Win Mobile version also)

http://www.codeplex.com/SharpMap

Your biggest obstacle to overcome, if you want to store your maps locally will be the size of the shape files.
By NleahciM
I embedded a Mozilla web browser in a LabVIEW VI that I created a little while ago. That way I could plot in real time the GPS coordinates of a mobile robot. This of course required an Internet connection - so might not work too well for you. However - what you can do is manually move around the map so that it displays the areas that you will be in - and then disconnect the Internet. It'll still be able to plot coordinates in those areas - just not any new areas.