SparkFun Forums 

Where electronics enthusiasts find answers.

Tips and questions relating to the GPS modules from SFE
By ITM
Hi!
I don't manage to find the piece of information I'm looking for.
If I decide to sell a system using a lassen IQ or sirfII based GPS, is there anything special to pay? Is it patent-free? Are there any restrictions?
Thanks in advance
By trevorz
If you are buying the Lassen (or whatever manufacturer) component, then they are already getting paid for their intellectual property. No further payment is necessary.

I'm sure the Lassen IQ has many patents on it, but as long as you are buying it, you're not in violation of any of them.

To violate a patent, you would look at how Lassen makes the IQ and use their ideas to make your own. THAT you can't do. But buying the Lassen IQ and using it in your own design is what Lassen wants--that way they sell lots of IQs.

Trevor
By ITM
Thanks for your answer.
Ok about the manufacturer GPS. But no patents are to be violated if I sell a *system* that uses a GPS system to locate itself ? I don't know if you see what I mean.
By elevator4
@ITM,
depends on what the *system* does. There are literally hundreds of patents around gps applications you probably should be aware of. As an example, the combination of a (mobile) GPS receiver and a wireless link to send the mobile position to a "base station", for whatever purpose, is a popular subject.
A good start may be an USPTO search for trimble as assignee - they are quite prolific on application patents as well.
-E